ECS board and American megatrends bios problems

Ask a question about your computer setup.
maddawgdfs
New visitors - please read the rules.

My board is an ECS P4VXASD2+1.0 and my BIOS is an American Megatrends Inc 07.00T 04/02/01 I recently went into the BIOS and selected to accept the "Optimal Settings" for my System since I play onlind games. Well after doing so I rebooted and got a Windows error message that said Windows Explorer had to shut down and I sent an error report to Microsoft. The results said it was caused from a device driver. I've tried to update all of my drivers and I have the most recent ones for everything. I didn't have any problems before I went into the BIOS. Any suggestions?

Win XP home, Intel Celeron 2.0, 768Mb DDR

Any help would be DEEPLY APPRECIATED
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Optimal Settings are Bios Standard settings but it might have configured something wrong for your system - possible RAM timings or disbled(not needed) OnBoard componentes are now reactivated .
-> Check this !

BTW : The Celeron ist the worst CPU ever for any type of games due to the minimal L2-Cache
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Denniss wrote:BTW : The Celeron ist the worst CPU ever for any type of games due to the minimal L2-Cache
The Pentium 4-based Celeron, of course. The Celerons before (based on PIII and PII) were much better.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Rainbow wrote:The Pentium 4-based Celeron, of course. The Celerons before (based on PIII and PII) were much better.
I know ,I know (had 300A@450 and 800@ 1.1GHz)
But 2.0GHz is one of the ugly P4 ones - running very cool but very slow in games
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Yes, it's a crap. And when combined with crappy chipset...
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I find that if I set my BIOS for the best settings avail. and then do a fresh install, things usually go fine. But sometimes changing BIOS settings on an existing Windows installation mucks things up for me when Windows tries to reconfigure itself accordingly.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Ritchie wrote:I find that if I set my BIOS for the best settings avail. and then do a fresh install, things usually go fine. But sometimes changing BIOS settings on an existing Windows installation mucks things up for me when Windows tries to reconfigure itself accordingly.
Windows 2K/XP does not like enabling/disabling ACPI and APIC - a reinstall is often needed.
maddawgdfs
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for your help guys, After reading about how screwed up the Celeron is I'm going to start building a new machine. I've been told the AMD Athlon 2500 combined with the ASUS 7N8X with an upgraded BIOS would be the way to go both performance wise and economy wise. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks again guys