newbie question in case my computer won't boot to windows

Ask a question about your computer setup.
chuckycheeze
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just got a new computer , very expensive over two grand, my question is what if one of these days my computer won't boot to desktop /windows I know I am supposed to have a boot disk and in order to get pc to boot and then once I get it to boot to windows then I have to put in the xp disc or maybe a mirror image copy of all of c drive to avoid reformating

but the question is > I know I am supposed to change the configuration of the bios and tell bios to boot from cd to enable my computer to boot from a boot cd instead of from hardrive
But if I do it right now when everything is fine to prepare for a disaster , how would my computer act , would it change the preformance if its set in bios to boot from cd instead of hardrive ? , would I notice any change ? or are you not supposed to change the bios from boot to cd from boot to hardrive until you actually can't boot and make this configuration change in the bios at that time and only at that time , and what does booting from the hardrive mean anyway as opposed to booting from a cd , I don't understand that .......
Thank You
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Some CDs/DVDs are bootable, as simple as that. If the boot order is set to CD/DVD first, then simply the boot process will take a second (or so) longer because it'll need to detect the presence of a bootable CD/DVD in the unit. If no media is present, it'll simple boot the HDD.

In other words, the only difference you'll notice is a one-second delay in the boot process.
chuckycheeze

Thank You ajzchips ,
I understand now, about the boot order and booting first from the cd/dvd as opposed to the booting first from the hardrive , so booting from the hardrive is the default setting in the bios and a boot disc will not be able to boot up a faulty computer that will not boot to desktop/windows unless the bios is set to boot from cd first is that correct ok I get that part ok
But please tell me when do you have to change the default in the bios to boot first from cd instead of the way its set now to boot first from the hardrive should you wait until you have the problem with not being able to boot your computer and then do it or can you do it now so you don't have to do it if and when you have a problem and is it ok to do it now ? will the pc still operate ok if you do it beforehand ? :?:
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

All I can tell you is that I ALWAYS change the default whenever I get my hands on ANY system.

My preferred boot order is:
1) CDROM/DVD
2) FLOPPY DRIVE
3) HARD DISK DRIVE

....this will NOT have any negative influence on your system.
chuckycheeze

If the boot order is set for boot from hdd first and I need to use an emergency boot disk because of a problem where my computer won't boot will the computer still boot from the cd/dvd even tho the bios is left unchange and bios is set to boot from hardrive first ?
Or will the computor reconize the cd and still boot from cd only I will just have to wait a little longer
or must I change the bios to boot from cd first
either now or when I have a problem ?
sorry to pester you but this will be my last post , just can you tell me yes or no to my question can I leave the bios alone and still use cd to boot ?
and change bios now or wait till when have problem is ok too ?