Overclocking settings in BIOS

Ask a question about your computer setup.
Oracle
New visitors - please read the rules.

I am not sure this is a BIOS setting problem or not. I seems to be, but maybe someone can help me figure out what is happenin. Here is my problem

i am trying to overclock my CPU. Actually, I don't consider it overclocking as much as making it run at the right MHZ. I have a AMD 1900 CPU. It Suppose to run at 1667 MHz. Instead, it is running at 1586 MHz. This may not sound like a big difference, but that slower speed turns my AMD 1900 into an AMD 1700. My BIOS setting determines what speed it runs at based on a combination of a base CPU bus speed and a "multiplier". The base CPU speed is 133 MHz and I have the multiplier set TO THE MAX that the BIOS allows - 12. Since the multiplier is set to the max, all I can do is increase the base CPU speed. It has several settings greater than 133.

I am trying to set it to 140 which will give me a Mhz speed of approx. 1680 which is closer to what it suppose to be. However, a problem comes up when I try to reboot the computer after changing the setttings. The screen goes blank (black screen) except for a terse one line message at the very top which says, [b] "Windows Protection Error. You must reboot the computer".[/b] After changing the BIOS setting back to 133, the computer boots up fine.

What is going on that the computer will not boot when I try to change the Mhz settings in the BIOS? I have the AWARD BIOS. I don't remember the version number, but it is the latest version because I just flashed the BIOS about a month ago.

Thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

some boards get new bioses every week at the moment. It sounds like your bios still doesn't know what to do with an XP1900. Check if there is a newer bios available.
Oracle

thanks for your response. However, I checked my BIOS and it IS the lastest AWARD BIOS (ver. 2.30).
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The multiplier should be locked and can't be set in BIOS on any recent CPU.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Oracle

My multiplier is NOT locked. I can set to anything from 1 - 12. However, it is currently set at the highest (12) and so I cannot increase the Mhz anymore except by increasing the base CPU Mhz.