Please help: ECS K7VTA2 & Duron 1,8GHz "Applebred&q

Ask a question about your computer setup.
Holy
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all,

I can't get the Drunon 1.8GHz "Applebred" on the ECS K7VTA2 motherboard running . The mobo has everything it needs to support this processor, except one thing: new bios (award). The newest one from the vendor web site is fairly old (2003/03/28 ), so it is no wonder that it can't recognize the "Applebred" series, which was first released on August 21th, 2003.

So it looks like I need to mod the bios myself, but the problem is, that I have never done it before.

It seems, that I should take the BIOS update file for similar motherboard, extract its CPU microcode, and flash it into this motherboard. Will this work? I found some tools, that might help, but I am quite worried about the motherboard, can you help me, please?

Can you help me please? Any advice or link would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
cp
BIOS Guru

did you check the board with another processor and the processor with another board?
there is no reason the board shouldn't work with the processor even if the dump bios wouldn't detect it as a duron which i doubt as the applebred durons (they are model 8) all have the 0681 cpuid. and even if the board detects it as 'generic K7 processor' everything is alright. the model 8 duron is a L-bridge crippled Model 8 Athlon (Thoroughbred core), so if the board supports model 8 athlons it will support model 8 durons as well.
Holy
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for your reply.

The board runs with older Duron 600Mhz just fine. However, I can't test the processor with another board.

Now, I have stoped trying to figure out how to solve it, because from what you wrote it seems, that the processor might be defective. So I sent it back to the store to change it for another one. I hope it will help ...