PC CHIPS M810??? I don't understand - help please!!!!!

How-to identify your motherboard ?
Great
BIOS Newbie

62-0914-001437-00101111-071595-sis730S-M810LR-H

Revision number????
I know there are many revisions of the PC CHIPS M810 and I need to know which model/revision I own so I can get the CORRECT BIOS and driver updates.

I have two more questions:

1) Why does Windows XP install the ACPI stuff but none of the sleep/wake-up/power buttons work nor can I see an option for hibernation???? I've had to revert back to Windows 98 :(

2) What benefits would the latest BIOS provide in this case?

READERS: I would greatly appreciate your help! Please be clear and don't use too much jargon.

______THANK YOU______ :D
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Look for the revision number near the keyboard connector (e.g. v3.0)
Best place for PC-Chips info is the PC-Chips Lottery
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Great
BIOS Newbie

Enabling ACPI in the Power Management part of the BIOS, NOT APM/ACPI and THEN installing Windows XP has done the trick, however there's no option for Standby in XP, but you can't have it all in life lol. :roll: Most importantly, the monitor and hard drives turn off when I want them to, which is important to me. Don't understand why XP installs the ACPI HAL and not all the power saving functions??????

In finding the revision number, is it printed in small lettering by the keyboard connector or what? I would like to know before I take my computer apart.

Thanks to everyone who helps me. :D
Denniss
BIOS Guru

All Info you need is at the M810 FAQ

Yes - the revision number should be near the keyboard connector
Great
BIOS Newbie

Looked near the keyboard connector and can't see nothing. Why do they have to use revision numbers - I think motherboard makers *SHOULD* change the model number every time they make a change to the board and sell it! :evil: What do you think? Surely it would make life *SO* much easier if they did it that way instead of using exactly the same model number and hiding the revision number somewhere on the board!

Motherboard makers take note please! I give up, I'll leave the BIOS alone.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

All M810LR (now M810L) use the same Bios as well as all M810 use the same Bios but M810 bios differs from M810L(LR) as LAN seems to be disabled there
All M810 use the same drivers

So what's the problem ?
Great
BIOS Newbie

I don't want to screw up my PC by flashing the wrong BIOS version because there are so many different types of M810, that's all.

I just want to point out again that if they change the specifications of a motherboard, I think they should change the model number (in this case, change M810 to M811, M812 and so on). I don't like the idea of using different revision numbers which are almost impossible to find (printed on the board but probably not mentioned in the manual) when it comes to BIOS updating and flashing the wrong revision could kill the BIOS (so I read)!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Pcchips has always done and i think it will do forever this same board model but different revision with different Bios .

But with the M810 the Bios is the same for al M810 non-LAN and for all M810L (LR/LMR with previous model numbering) .
Exceptions : The models with OnBoard CPU or the M810DU/DLU (based on sIS740 instead of SIS730) .
Sometimes it's possible the revision number has a QC (Quality Control ?!?) sticker sticked onto it so it's not visible
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

PC Chips isn't the only one using the same name and a different rev number with a different bios, MSI is doing the very same thing...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Great
BIOS Newbie

Why don't we all complain to the Motherboard manufacturers about the problem of using exactly the same model number, but with a different revision number hidden away?! Are there any manufacturers out there that DON'T use this stupid and dangerous method of labelling a Motherboard? -=- Labelling a Motherboard isn't Rocket Science for goodness sake! :x
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

The manual has the revision (family) number printed on it too.