Intel Triton 430HX rev 1

How-to identify your motherboard ?
thedave321
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Intel Triton 430HX rev 1 chipset and a Bios ID of: Bios version 1.00.03.DCOL(that is the actual ID, I checked with the Bios Wizard) The Bios Manufacturer is American Megatrends
Date: 07/19/96
Bios Rom size:128k

Basicly I want to upgrade my bios, so that a PCI version 2.2 card can work in the computer. I have been looking for a Bios upgrade, but can't find one, because i can't find the real Bios ID number. Any ideas would really help. Or any other ideas onhow to upgrade the PCI Version 2.1 to PCI 2.2.

the computer is Win 95, HP Pallivion 7270

Thanks in advance
Dave
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

Ruby Intel Advanced/RU or RU430HX (Ruby 1.00.xx.DC0L): 7020, 7270, 7275Z, 7280P, 7282, 7285, and 7295V
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/Intel/HP.html

BIOS will have to come from HP not Intel...
Compaq-Fu Master
thedave321

I can't find the update on the hp website. Where else can I get it?
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

Sorry. If one is not availible through HP then there is none to be had...
Compaq-Fu Master
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I was reading somewhere just recently on another Forum that there is nothing significant in v2.2 that is required to make a card/motherboard run properly over v2.1.

Have you tried the card in question in your machine?

Can you give more info while I look for the posting I read?
thedave321

Sure

Basicly what I want to do is put a Linksys Networking card into a 7270 HP Palivion, that runs on Windows 95. I have tried putting the card in, but the computer doens't reconize it, and so I can't install it properly. I have tried to install mananually, but with no success. When I do install it manually, in the device manger, it tells me that the card has a "device failure", and tells me to try a differnt driver. So I thought it had something to do with the fact that it only has PCI v. 2.1. Also, a sidenote, the interall board only has two PCI slots, and i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

P.S. I did find the right Bios on the HP website after some digging around, but after updating the Bios, it changed nothing, and the computer still won't reconoze the card.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

AFAIK, most cards that require PCI 2.2 require the 3,3V power to be present on some of the pins. This is no there on most (all?) boards made before year 2000. I've never tried to modify a board but it might work (a 3,3V voltage regulator connected to the correct pins).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Interestingly, on a quick look at a Linksys Users Guide, they make no mention of using a PCI 2.2 slot for an obviously longer card edge...they just say "PCI Slot".

Which card are you trying to install?
thedave321

A Linksys EtherFast Desktop 10/100 PCI Network Card. Model: LNE100TX
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I just installed one of those in a VX-based board with Win98SE.

Win98SE does not know about this card, so I downloaded the latest drivers from Linksys.

I would bet Win95 doesn't know about the card either, and that is the trouble you are seeing.

(BTW...I think the LNE100TX only requires PCI 2.1)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

there's a good chance your board simply doesn't support this card. Try a cheap realtek rtl8139-based cad, they run in practically any board (even 486 PCI boards).
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
thedave321

Weird Twist of Fate.............I have goten the card to work, but in an odd way.

Two days ago I just took apart the computer, taking out all the boards, etc. When I put everything back into place and started the computer back up, the networking card somehow started to work! I don't know what I did, but apparently, taking everything out reset the system, and got everything to work. My new PCI video also works, which it didn't before. Thanks everyone for giving thier ideas on this!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Quite possibly the card was not seated properly, or the contacts were not clean on the connector, which were cleaned by the action of removing and re-inserting the card.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

the other option is that the bios re-enumerated the PnP-table thereby cleaning out a possible conflict.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...