Presumed Non-retail Mobo Issues

How-to identify your motherboard ?
vant826
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey guys,

I just came accross a free computer and it seems to be Compaq branded even though it's not in a Compaq computer case. It's pretty worthlessly slow and I think the only way that it might be worth something is if I could overclock it. Currently it has the HP/Compaq BIOS so it is locked from adjustments, would it be possible to use a retail flash on this mobo?

Here are the specs...

BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award
BIOS Date: August 1st 2003
BIOS ID: 08/01/2003-KM266-8235-6A6LVF0BC-00-None
BIOS OEM: Copyright 2003 by Hewlett Packard Company Rev.AM37320 - AM37320
Chipset: VIA 82C3116 rev 0
SuperIO: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 at port 002E
Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 06
Motherboard: P8655A-ABA S3000Z NA110

Thanks,
v
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

Compaq-Fu Master
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

It's pretty worthlessly slow
Yes, as are all other machines from 7 years or older... Overclocking the CPU will not compensate for the slow harddrive, worthless video card and system bus. This is assuming you are using a clean install of the OS, else several years of registry pollution/harddrive fragmentation are not going to help either.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

Yes, as are all other machines from 7 years or older
well, depends on what your goals are.
if you still want to use it as a desktop machine, make sure to use a fresh installation of Windows XP or a leightweight Linux of your choice. the inbuild vga is good enough for 2D. disable all those fancy window-blinds and go for not-so-memory-hungry applications (browser, office suite, video/music-player,etc). there are plenty alternatives out there and some are even free (free like in free of charge for personal use). if you need a faster harddrive: there are PATA<->SATA adaptors out there. the mainboard is capable of ATA 133 with a V-Link (266MB/s) attached southbridge.

the board makes a nice little server with an underclocked and heavily undervolted CPU, some SATA harddisks and a very lightweight OS.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.