Elomont
New visitors - please read the rules.

BIOS Date: 04/22/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 04/22/1999-i440BX-W977EF-2A69KF09C-00
BIOS OEM: VERSION : MI413e - 4.51 PG
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: Winbond 977EF rev 1 at port 0370

I would like help finding the correct BIOS update, but I would also like to know how you found it (what steps you took).

Thank you in advance,

Elomont
cp
BIOS Guru

FIC VB-601
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic5052.html

this board has a search function, too.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/slot1/vb-601/

MI4118 would be what you're looking for.
Update your Bios only if there's a real need for.
Elomont
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks Denniss. That was the info I was trying to locate.

To be honest, I've been receiving unwanted towers from people I know in my quest to become more knowledgeable with computers. Rummaging through them, tinkering with them and trying to get them updated without adding anything new besides an Ethernet card that I swap between them all to do quicker web searching.

In the updating area, I've been wanting to update a BIOS just to say I've done it AND also just to improve the computer even if it's negligible. I know from reading the various posts on several different websites that there is an inherent risk of updating or flashing a BIOS. Seeing that they are donated and I need to learn by trial and error I'm not really that worried about screwing anything up.

I was just having trouble finding the update part of it. I did locate my Chipset and Motherboard, but finding the actual updated BIOS site was the problem. The link that cp provided for me did not work for me. Can you tell me how you found that site which pertains to my motherboard or is it "super secret"? I'd like to get to the point where I don't have to ask for help unless I'm really stumped.

Thanks,

Elomont
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The other thread handled the same motherboard but a different revision. And all links pointed to the now-dead fica.com FIC-server in the USA.
My link is to the main (but slower) taiwanese FTP-server.