What board is this?

How-to identify your motherboard ?
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

sulbert wrote:Hotflashing will also do the job I guess.
True enough. That is if he's got a compatible board...
Compaq-Fu Master
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

To get the system to this status, I tried hotflashing the BIOS module from the PCChips (problem) machine in another board.

I do not get POST but the PCChips BIOS is apparently attempting bootblock recovery.

All I am hoping someone can help me with at present is the correct way to set up a floppy disk for bootblock recovery, keeping in mind that the board uses an AMI BIOS.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

OK I got the hint from another topic I was subscribed to that I needed AMIBOOT.ROM on a floppy disk.

I copied the backup BIOS image I created from this board to AMIBOOT.ROM on a blank floppy disk. Then I simply inserted the floppy disk into the drive and powered up. Seemed to take a while but I was patient because the system seemed to be doing something with the floppy drive. After a while the floppy eventually stopped reading and then I got four beeps from the system. I gave it a few more seconds and then pressed reset.

And then the BIOS was running again. But configured really badly because it detected a 128MB RAM module as 147MB. Which was fixed when I reloaded and recustomised the BIOS defaults. I thought there was a bigger problem at first because it told me to press F1 for BIOS setup or F2 to reload defaults, but it would not respond to those keystrokes. This also was promptly fixed when I diagnosed the problem as having no keyboard plugged in and simply plugged one in.

Anyway, the problems I were having before I corrupted the BIOS indicated that the board was faulty, which I still think is the case.

A lot of trouble to go to for a board that I will probably toss out, but I did want to see the system running at it's best again.
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

Glad to hear that you got it back running at least..
Compaq-Fu Master
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I am still tempted to attempt to reflash the newer BIOS, which probably would result in me repeating the process I just went through, and only ending up with the BIOS that was orignally on the machine, which is ironically what I ended up with this first time round.