Converter wph --> bin need!

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
Post Reply
Ger@ld
BIOS Rookie
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:17 pm
Location: Germany, Dresden

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Hello,

a friend did brick his Acer Aspire 1652WLMI
The recover with Crisis disk and bios.wph file failed.
Is it possible, to convert a wph file to bin? :roll:
With an bin File I'm able to remove the FLASH Chip, reprogram and replace it 8)
Unfortunaly new BIOS is also an wph file :evil:

thanks Ger@ld
drgn997
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Sat May 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Hello,
I had a similar problem with an Acer Aspire 3000-ZL5, all you need is an Hex Editor. On Acer Support website there're 4 BIOS updates, 3 for laptops with ATIs Graphics Card and 1 more for Intel Graphic Card, versions 3A43 and 3A45. There are 4 files available, the size of your Firmware chip is 512KB (7FFFFh starting from 00000h). Open the WPH BIOS file that corresponds to the graphic card installed in your laptop with your Hex Editor and go to the file position 80000, erase everything from that position to the end, you should end up at 7FFFF if done correctly, nothing more nothing less than that. At file offset 7FFF0 it should start with byte E9 xx xx than in these versions should be E9 3F B4. Save the file with a different name or overwrite it and you'll end up with a file size of 524,288 bytes, once you check this you're ready to program your chip with this file. Very simple.

DRGN997
Ger@ld
BIOS Rookie
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:17 pm
Location: Germany, Dresden

Sat May 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi drgn997,

I've found the same way :D
But unfortunately is my english not so good, to tell, what I did :oops:
I tested two ways:
At first I take a backup from my Award BIOS with WinPhlash (Phoenix flashtool) and again with Winflash. With Award BIOS files I'm familiar :wink: So I'd found it.
To verify, if it's right, I did this modification with the original wph file and did open original wph and this new rom file Phoenixeditor.
Bingoooo! Phoenixeditor can open both files without error 8)

A good question is, for wath is the rest in wph? Maybe an image from NVRAM :?:
Or informations about flash-algorythm? In HEX-editor be some chip names visible...

Ger@ld
toosour
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:20 pm

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:44 am

Was so happy to see this post.

Exactly what I am looking for my Sony Vaio VGN FE31Z.

Grateful for any pointers for converting the Sony Vaio .wph to .bin

The uploaded .wph can be found here:

htt://vikiran.org/BIOS.zip

Thanks
drgn997
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:32 am

toosour wrote:Was so happy to see this post.

Exactly what I am looking for my Sony Vaio VGN FE31Z.

Grateful for any pointers for converting the Sony Vaio .wph to .bin

The uploaded .wph can be found here:

htt://vikiran.org/BIOS.zip

Thanks
Hello,
all you need to do is to open the .wph file with an HEX editor an delete everything from address 100,000 Hex to the end, save changes and then rename it to a .bin extension. You'll end up with a file with a size of 1,048,576 bytes.

The last eight bytes of the file are:
EA A0 B8 00 F0 00 00 00

DRGN997
sharky
BIOS Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 am

toosour wrote:Grateful for any pointers for converting the Sony Vaio .wph to .bin
Usually the easiest way is to check the file size (in kB) then round it down to the next power of 2. Examples are 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096. The rounded down number is the destination file size. Then you run (Linux/*BSD/Solaris/...)

Code: Select all

dd if=bios.wph bs=1024k count=1 of=bios.bin
bs specifies the destination size, bios.wph is the original file and bios.bin is the .bin file you want. The example above is for a .wph file slightly larger than 1024kB. For a .wph file slightly larger than 512kB, you have to use bs=512k instead. You can probably guess how to handle .wph files with a size slightly larger than 2048kB.

To verify that the file is OK, run

Code: Select all

hexdump -C bios.bin|tail -n 2
and the output should look like

Code: Select all

0007fff0  ea xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  |................|
00080000
or

Code: Select all

000ffff0  eb xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  |................|
00100000
or

Code: Select all

000ffff0  e9 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  |................|
00100000
Basically, the last line should start with e9/ea/eb and the first column (address) should be 0x7fff0 (for 512kB BIOS) or 0xffff0 (for 1024kB BIOS). Stuff marked with xx or .. is not important.
THEREU
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Could you help me with how to convert .bin file to .wph?

the bios file is here ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10 ... p43099.exe

When i extract the executable i get a asp5.13 which is a bin file, how do i convert .bin file to .wph?
sharky
BIOS Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:24 am

THEREU wrote:Could you help me with how to convert .bin file to .wph?
Sorry, that is not possible without detailed board information (and no, the board name, chipset and configuration are not enough). Besides that, .wph is undocumented and a manually created .wph has the risk of bricking your computer.

Why would anyone want to convert a .bin to a .wph? Either you use the vendor flashing tool with the BIOS file (.bin or .wph or whatever) that comes with it, or you use an external programmer or flashrom or Uniflash with a BIOS .bin.
solectron
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:18 am

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:32 am

Hi all, need urgent help on how to convert the wph format to bin/rom ,greatly appreciate to who answer this post, currently i download the dell Inspiron N4010 BIOS and extract the bios by using /writeromfile command ,its come out another wph format and my programmer doen't regonise its,please hell to teach me on how to convert it using hex edit ?
Ahmad
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 pm

sharky wrote:
toosour wrote:Grateful for any pointers for converting the Sony Vaio .wph to .bin
Usually the easiest way is to check the file size (in kB) then round it down to the next power of 2. Examples are 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096. The rounded down number is the destination file size. Then you run (Linux/*BSD/Solaris/...)

Code: Select all

dd if=bios.wph bs=1024k count=1 of=bios.bin
bs specifies the destination size, bios.wph is the original file and bios.bin is the .bin file you want. The example above is for a .wph file slightly larger than 1024kB. For a .wph file slightly larger than 512kB, you have to use bs=512k instead. You can probably guess how to handle .wph files with a size slightly larger than 2048kB.

To verify that the file is OK, run

Code: Select all

hexdump -C bios.bin|tail -n 2
and the output should look like

Code: Select all

0007fff0  ea xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  |................|
00080000
or

Code: Select all

000ffff0  eb xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  |................|
00100000
or

Code: Select all

000ffff0  e9 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx  |................|
00100000
Basically, the last line should start with e9/ea/eb and the first column (address) should be 0x7fff0 (for 512kB BIOS) or 0xffff0 (for 1024kB BIOS). Stuff marked with xx or .. is not important.
Is this procedure same for dell bios? I have to extract wph file of dell inspiron 1564 into. Wph file is more than 5 mb and i have chipset of 4 mb used, Can i get my desired file by this method, Thanx in advace.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist
Posts: 6221
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Usually the easiest way is to check the file size (in kB) then round it down to the next power of 2. Examples are 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
syliver
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:54 pm

-Manufacturer: sapphire
-Motherboard Model: PC-17RD400
-Bios Type: PHOENIX Award
edwin
The Hardware Archivist
Posts: 6221
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

syliver wrote:-Manufacturer: sapphire
-Motherboard Model: PC-I7RD400
-Bios Type: PHOENIX Award
Yours is an Award bios, not a true Phoenix bios so you do not need to convert anything. Use the .bin file:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... =223&lid=1#

and the Award method from here:
http://www.biosman.com/biosrecovery.html
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Post Reply