flashing NEC Versa 6230 notebook with uniflash

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
binky123
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm having some trouble flashing a Versa 6230 notebook. It only has a cdrom drive in it so I burned a bootable cd and used that to boot. I tried the NEC's flasher nbuu.exe but it errors out when run from the C: drive.

The docs say it uses a 28F020 256Kb Flash ROM. It is running AMI Bios with NEC's version # 28.00.00. Uniflash doesn't recognize the Flash ROM but detected the chipset as Intel Triton III 430TX.

I first ran uniflash -FORCE 89BD and saved the ROM and it compared the same to what was read by the nbuu.exe program. I then tried to flash the ROM and it erases ok but the writing(programming) bar shows only several sections with green. The verification fails.

The laptop is in DOS mode and I don't want to power it off as I'm afraid the next boot will fail. I can still load programs into the notebook via burning a new CDROM and including files into the cdrom boot block.

I copied down the uniflash.log:

Code: Select all

Chipset detected: Intel Triton III 430TX
Flat Real Mode initialized
CMOS size detected: 128b
Found DMI 2.0 boad info: Packard Bell NEC PC-1234-12345 Production
Intel Method reg $4C = 00330000
Intel Method reg $4C changed to 02F70000
System ROM selected
Flash ROM chip forced Intel 28F020/12V
Flash ROM Id 0000,0000
Flashing 262144b long BIOS to 0
Flashing 262144b long BIOS to 0
Flashing failed
Uniflash Exiting.
Any suggestions on what to try next? NEC provides a amimm256.exe program that gives info on the contents of a ROM file but I'm not sure if that is useful or not.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Try save the backup again and compare with original. I guess that it didn't change at all and it can be rebooted safely.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere