MSI / AMI Bios : Bypass Flash Protection

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
e-gilles
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all.

I have a strong issue with my MSI 845PE Max2 motherboard. :(

After a flash with a corrupted BIOS (I believe) I am in a situation now where I can only boot up my PC 1 only time after doing a jumper clear CMOS process (yes, I have to do this clear CMOS after every boot). :(

If I reboot or restart the PC without doing a clear CMOS, the PC begin to start 4-5 seconds, and then stop and do this 2-3 times with blank screen, and no CD, floppy read and then stay up forever, but with no screen and no peripherals active :cry:

BUT : if I clear CMOS, I can run DOS, Windows, even play during hours, but I cannot reboot or shutdown or restart (otherwise I have to do the clear CMOS stuff each time it restarts). Which is better than nothing, but not practical at all (and especially cause it is not my personnal PC, and I will get killed if I give it back like this).

:arrow: So, here is my issue : this f#@!! BIOS is by default (after the "clear CMOS") "flash protection" = enabled ... so, I CANNOT flash my BIOS anymore to put the last working BIOS back to my MSI motherboard :cry: :cry: :cry:
I can access the BIOS and disable the protection setting ... but I cannot save and reboot (otherwise I have to clear CMOS, and then, I loose the new setting).
Each time I clear CMOS, it boots with message : "press F1 to enter the BIOS or F2 to load BIOS defaults" ... do if I press F1, I cannot reboot, and If I press F2, BIOS is flash protected.

:?: Is there a way to flash the BIOS even with this BIOS setting set to "flash protection" = enabled ?

:?: or Is there a software that can write in my "protected" BIOS ? or change this setting WITHOUT rebooting ?

:?: or is there a way to force bootblock load (AMIBOOT.ROM file load form floppy) when the BIOS is looking good during post ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,
Regards
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

e-gilles wrote: :?: or is there a way to force bootblock load (AMIBOOT.ROM file load form floppy) when the BIOS is looking good during post ?
Hold Ctrl+Home while powering up.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
e-gilles

Thank you Rainbow for your answer (honestly I was hoping you or another famous GURU can see my post and help me). :D

Ok, so according to your message, I tried AGAIN to Ctrl + Home ... and I tried to press those BEFORE pushing the power up button ... AND it worked (stupid me who didn't try before).

Now I have the old BIOS (original) but still the same issue :

:arrow: if no Clear CMOS : 4-5 seconds boot, and then reboot, and then blank screen
:arrow: if Clear CMOS : F1 or F2 choice screen with this message : CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad (and then F1 = run setup, F2 = load default and continue)

:cry: SO, basically : new BIOS (old one), but same situation :cry:

What can I do now ? :cry:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Replace CMOS battery.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
e-gilles

I tried from the beginning with old and new batteries, but it has no effects.

:?: What does this "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad" means ?
What is "GPNV" ?

What is strange with this PC and motherboard, it is that the PC doesn't boot correctly without a Clear CMOS (and the PC do this strange boot process with rebooting after 4-5 seconds)... I don't understand what is the reason of this behavior.

Please help ! :cry: :cry: :cry:
e-gilles

Ok ... Now, I have identified the root of the problem : The DDR-SDRAM ! 8O :lol:

I tried to remove everything from my friend PC and replace one by one with my PC components ... when I swapped the RAM with mine, then ... IT WORKED !!! :D :D :D

So, I put back his memory sticks, and same issue ... so I tried to change all the timings to lowest settings possible ... but even with that, I still have my issue.

So, I finally tried with changing from 333 MHz to 266 MHz and finally it works !!!
So, now, the PC is a bit slower, but working (and I can reboot !!!) with RAM @ 266 MHz.

That's too bad for my friend, but more than that I don't understand :
:arrow: why does it boot correctly @333 after a clear CMOS ? and why NOT without ?
:arrow: how could a "simple" BIOS flash drive this huge change (RAM not able to work at 333 MHz anymore) ? :evil:

:!: PS : his RAM and mine are labelled the same : DDR 333 CAS 2.5 but his one doesn't boot even in 3-3-3-7 8O
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I find your post a bit confusing on specific details but it sounds like you have a memory compatibility issue which you have to solve.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Maybe the memory module is simply bad...
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I was thinking that as well. From the post I was leaning towards compatibility. But his existing bad/incompatible chips could be tested on another functioning system that is using as similar spec and brand chips as possible, and a positive result would mean chips are ok; if a negative result chips are bad

I have had problems with RAM chips where the spec is OK but are not of good enough quality to be accepted by the board, but I admit I have had some problems, although few, with actual faulty chips. And also unusual cases where the ram slot on the main board has an operational fault
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Do a RAM test with either MemTest86, or the new Memtest86+.

It will help you sort out a bad module, bad connection (seating in the slot) or RAM timings (if you are "playing" with them at all)...
e-gilles

First of all : Thank you all for your help ! It is a GREAT forum with great people ! (french forums are not so helpfull)
:D :D :D

Secondly : I will test the chips and let you know.