Source file could not be found error.

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
trueman35
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I am trying to flash my bios using the award awdflash utility. I copied the bios upgrade V10091AG.BIN and the awdflash.exe file to a floppy and booted using a boot disc. I then swapped over to my floppy and typed awdflash.exe. I followed the prompts and saved my previous bios file and then entered V10091AG.BIN as the source file but I keep getting the error
"Source file could not be found"

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks..
Denniss
BIOS Guru

typo or the file has a different name as you think - make sure the DOS-name is really 10091ag.bin - maybe rename it to newbios.bin
trueman35

Thanks Denniss for the tip. I tried what you said and changed the file name but now I get the error message

"Insufficient Memory"

Any ideas??

Thanks again.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

www.bootdisk.com
-> Get the DRDOS 7.x "Basic-Biosflash" Bootdisk-creator and create a new bootdisk

Then you have maximum free memory to flash your Bios
trueman35

Okay Denniss I gave that a try and it worked but when I tried to flash the BIOS I got an error message about checksum doesnt macth hardware or something. I continued anyway and the computer boots okay but I didnt manage to acheive the original goal of trying to update the BIOs to support a faster chip.

Anyway perhpas you could offer some advice on where to go from here? Here is the details of the computer.

An Azza DVBX2 motherboard with a Cleron 500mhz cpu.

Chipset is VIA VT82C693 and VIA VT82C596B

I am trying to upgrade the BIOs so I can install a faster chip as ther mobo manual says it supports up to 800mhz.

The current BIOS is this

Award Modular BIOS V4.51PG 1984-2000

1/13/2000 DVABX For PT-DVAX(2)/DVBX (2) 6VAX2

1/13/2000-693-596B-977-2A6LGP8EC-00

I went here
http://www.pcpartner.com.hk/support/bios/VIA694.HTM

And downloaded the bios that matched the chipset as above. However the computer will not boot with the new chip installed. I tried a few other chips but none of them will work except the original.

Any ideas on what I can try here?

Thanks again...
trueman35

Just to add I found a section in the mobo manual that says the Motherbaord supports a cpu voltage of 1.8v up to 3.5v and its automatically selected.
I also noticed that all the cpu's that I tried were all 1.7v.

Could this be the reason why I cant upgrade?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Why won't you install a Bios from your motherboard manufactuerer ?

A Bios from a different manufacturer but for the same chipset will not nork in 99% of all cases !

Your Bios should support these new CPU fine but you need a Slocket/Adaptercard with voltage select
-> With an 1.7V CPU and motherboard capable of delivering 1.8V as lowest it will not boot but if you manually select 1.8V it will boot .
trueman35

Denniss,

I cannot find a BIOS from my motherboard manafacturer. Its an Azza motherboard and their websote only seems to support new boards. I have tried to Google for it but no luck so far.

Whe you say this
-> With an 1.7V CPU and motherboard capable of delivering 1.8V as lowest it will not boot but if you manually select 1.8V it will boot .
Do you mean manually select 1.7v? If so thats a problem too. The board (As far as I can tell) automatically selects the voltage. You can change a jumper to increase the volatge by .5volts but thats the only control you have over it.

Any ideas?? Thanks again mate.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

A picture shows your board as Socket-370 - is this correct or do you have a Slot-1 Board ?
With Socket-370 it might be PPGA-only for old Celerons and for nothing newer .

Do not install a bios that's not designed for your board !!
trueman35

The board has both a socket 370 and a slot 1 and you can use either processor in it. It is currently installed with a socket 370 500mhz celeron and I have been trying to upgrade this but with no luck.

Any ideas where I can find the right BIOS for this board?

Should I perhaps try to upgrade with a slot 1 processor instead? Will slot 1 processor have ahigher voltage of at least 1.8v or above??
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Use your 1.7V Socket-370 CPU in a Slot1-to-Socket370 Adapter with voltage jumpers(required) and set these jumpers to 1.8V - no need to have a Voltage regulator on this Adapter

To repeat : This is not a Bios problem !!!
It's a hardware thing - if a CPU is detected requiring a lower voltage as the board is able to deliver there's no boot and board shuts itself down
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Older Socket-370 boards do not support Coppermine CPUs even when the voltage regulator can do less than 1,8V. See this http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/370mod/
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere