775 needs help!

Don't ask how to over-clock.
500r420
New visitors - please read the rules.

My friend wanted to build a office computer and he demands fastness and modernness (ie quick cpu, memory, no graphics to speak of (i know its kidna silly))
i send him a list of some parts to get for a computer under $500

He wanted to build it himself though and wouldnt let me help him out.
Its abit ni8-sli board which supports fsb 800 and 1066, ram up to 667, and has an nvidia chip of some kind

using an intel 930 presler

he installed all the parts, waiting for the x300 to arrive from ebay
i slipped him a pci card from the days of yore to put an image on the screen
he couldnt figure out what to plug into the hard drive power and asked me to come over
i looked up a pic of the s-ata power plug and was about to make one with some copper wire, (yellow left, second black, red, third black) but i balked at the idea when i saw how close the pins were

so we fired it up with no hd installed and it worked fine, iding the cpu as pentium d 2 processors, 3.0ghz, ram accepted and it passed bios and tried to boot a drive but none installed

it then shortly turned off
we tried again and it lasted about 30 seconds
i asked how he installed the heatsink (intel standard) and he admitted he put finger prints all over the cpu core and reattached the heatsink numerous times without reapplying gunk

so i told him to head over to best buy the next day and pick up some thermal ectoplasmic residue and a s-ata power cable

he calls me up 40 minutes ago and says no post, no bios beep, just fans spinning

he said it worked fine once after reinstalling cpu but when he restarted it, nothing

im heading over at 9:00 in about 11 hours to see what i can do, but i no expert
my guess is shorted out mobo by case, crappy psu came with case, or perhaps the cpu perished?

he didnt play around with any jumpers, everything is default
the fsb is obviously fine as the cpu max is 800 which is motherboard minimum but im not sure about voltage
ive never really played around with this but i think preslers are in the 1.3 region
can anyone help me diagnose, or if its needed, offer advice how to not repeat killing a replacement cpu?
i might be able to convince my friend to lone me his prescott for testing from a dell 8400 but i dont want to fry that one (like i said, im no expert)

Help Please?
Thanks in advance

David Wallenstein
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Time to get an expert if the both of you are not up to or daring enough to fix this thing.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...