MICROCODE ERROR PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE .........PLS HELP

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
kentan
New visitors - please read the rules.

HI All, I have a HP VL400 / 815 chip P3 board . I upgrade it to a P3 933 and got error everytime need to press F1 .

Question ;
1. is there any way to hex the bios to "kill" this F1 thing ?
2. If 1 not workable how can I do an insert of the microcode into the bios file ? I have an 068Ah Step D0 processor.

Any help is highly appreciated.

P.S. I know nothing bout Hex language.

Ken
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Tried a Bios Update ?

Is this Phoenix,Ami or Award Bios ?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

kentan

HI ALL , Yes I have tried all versions of bioses found on HP site with no improvement . Confirmed the bioses does not recognise my CPU : 068ah STep D0 . Is there anyway to Kill the F1 error & go straight to booting OS ? I saw on HP forum there is a file by Compaq "kill F1 " program but doesnt work either .

I have tried to use Bedemo.exe to insert an extracted bios file into the *.rom using Catenate > however the Catenate.exe inserted a file called user_de0.rom 4 byte blank file.

I can see using pheonix bios editor the Halt on Error command . But dont quite know how to disable this command .

My major problem is now the re-compiling back the 512kb file using other compiler.

Any help appreciated.
Rgds
Ken
kentan

Hi here is the latest HP bios download area :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... wEnvOID=54

Thanks
Ken Tan
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

The link I posted helps kill the "F1" problem on many other boards I've tested. It includes a checkit utility that'll add a microcode update withouth having to mess with the BIOS.
kentan

ajzchips, Thanks for your reply. I have read your link 3x I cant find anything about the Kill F1 article there . Could you shed somelite ?

I have tried the compaq *667.exe Kill F1 software on Phoenix bios but it does not work though.

Thanks
Ken
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

The utility will simply add the required microcode without tampering with your BIOS. Then, upon booting, you will not see the "CPU Microcode Mismatch, hit F1 to continue" error.

This has worked on several IBM and Intel PC's I've tried.
maman
Master Flasher

@ajzchips :
I'm thinking about a "brute force" approach in this problem, in case we can't embed the new microcode to the BIOS itself. I'm thinking about this: find where the string ("Press F1...") lays in the BIOS binary then it must be a reference from somekind of call or jump instruction, then just replace the jump with a nop. With the help of IDA Pro, this probably won't be too hard. Anyaway, the BEDemo from phoenix will help us to compress and pack the binary back into a valid BIOS I guess. Certainly, this method is not very desirable, but when we can't working on the microcode, this should help. :twisted: