Search found 12 matches

by Fencer128
Fri May 09, 2003 7:15 pm
Forum: Other BIOS update issues.
Topic: Equivalent BIOS ROMs
Replies: 2
Views: 2705

Thanks for your response. Could I ask if you - or anyone else - has anything more specific to say regarding my 2 points?

Thanks,

Andy
by Fencer128
Fri May 09, 2003 12:12 am
Forum: Other BIOS update issues.
Topic: Equivalent BIOS ROMs
Views: 2705

Equivalent BIOS ROMs

Hi, A while back I was toying with the idea of setting up a business on the side to do the kind of bios reprogramming you so often see nowadays. I managed to get all the information I needed apart from a couple of points - incidentally which stopped me from proceeding. 1. Is it really necessary to s...
by Fencer128
Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:10 pm
Forum: My hard drive isn't recognized
Topic: Hard Drive Problem
Replies: 4
Views: 4767

Also, does the specification of the HD listed in the bios match the actual HD spec? i.e. is the bios detecting it correctly?

Andy
by Fencer128
Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:34 pm
Forum: General BIOS Questions
Topic: Flash ROM support
Replies: 5
Views: 4731

No ideas anyone? - I realise my questions are getting more obscure!

If anyone has tried something like the above or knows where such information exists, please could they give me a pointer?

Thanks,

Andy
by Fencer128
Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:15 pm
Topic: Processor Speed... 700E What's the "E" for??!!
Views: 3579

Hi, I believe (although I could be wrong!) that the "E" specifies that the processor's L2 cache runs at the same frequency as the core i.e. 700 MHz in your case. Earlier processors without the "E" ran their L2 caches at half the core frequency. "EB" processors also exist (as do "B") whereby the proc...
by Fencer128
Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:44 pm

Thanks Rainbow. Could I pick your (or anyone else's!) brain another time please!... :D If two ROMs are 100% 'drop-in' compatible with each other (ie DC characteristics, bus timings, pin assignment, sector structure/size and software commands are identical) then if one is supported in a certain manuf...
by Fencer128
Fri May 31, 2002 8:44 pm

Thanks for the quick response! (you seem to be answering a lot of questions!) Given your reply above, if I have access to a particular bios *.bin image, is there any way of telling from the code what specific ROMs are supported? I ask because I'm soon to be involved in supplying flash ROM IC's for s...
by Fencer128
Fri May 31, 2002 8:18 pm

Flash ROM support

Hello, Does anyone happen to know - or know where to find - which flash ROMs are supported by different AMI or Award bios versions? I'm trying to find out in order to compile my own list of "drop-in" compatible ROMs for different motherboards. I don't necessarily have to use an identical ROM compare...
by Fencer128
Wed May 29, 2002 7:53 pm
Forum: In-depth High-tech BIOS section
Topic: How do bios flash utilities read binaries?
Views: 6096

Thanks, Can I just check to see if I've got this straight: If the flash program has the data for a particular ROM i.e. EON EN29F002NT-70P for example, then it can flash any 2Mbit (or maybe smaller) *.bin file into that ROM, with the DMI and ESCD data correctly placed. If it does not have the support...
by Fencer128
Wed May 29, 2002 3:15 pm

Thanks I am still slightly confused though...For instance the Winbond W29C020C family of ROMs have an 8k boot block located at the first 8k and last 8k bytes of memory. Whereas the AMIC A29001 family have 2 x 8k boot blocks at the first 16k bytes of memory. Are both these boot blocks necessary? if s...
by Fencer128
Wed May 29, 2002 2:40 pm

How do bios flash utilities read binaries?

Hello, I've recently been delving into the murky world of flash memory and bioses. What I've been unable to acertain is how the bios flash utility programs the binary files into the flash memory. I've noticed that the flash utilities are able to recognise certain chipsets and flash memory devices. T...