1. I have Phoenix-Award BIOS. I should use the Award (Not the Phoenix) flashing/recovery methods correct?
2. I upgraded my BIOS using a sp26713.exe file. Do I need to back up my current BIOS or can I use the sp26713 file that I just flashed as a backup?
3. Since I don't have a USB flash drive or floppy, is it possible to use a large USB storage drive or a CD-R for flashing?
4. Do I really need to use a CD Burning program that can make a bootable disk (like Nero) to make a bootable CD-ROM? When I asked it to make a bootable CD it asks me for a Image.IMA file. Do I use a boot98c.exe from bootdisk or do I extract it first to get the boot98c.IMA?
5. Can I just use a Win98SE_bootdisk.iso from All Boot disks, extract the folder from that, and put that data on the disk using any CD burning program? If the BIOS is set up to boot from the CD drive first won't it just see the autoexe.bat and execute it if it's on on the disk?
6. I was going to downgrade to the old 3.40 SP26648.exe BIOS that used to be up on eMachines and HP but there's no longer any trace of it anywhere. Would it be safe to try the Modded_MS-7184_beta1.zip as long as I have a backup?
From the Win98SE_bootdisk.iso I extracted a Win98SE_bootdisk folder which contains alot of different files. In that folder I deleted the config.sys, edited the AUTOEXEC.BAT file to have 2 lines: "@ECHO OFF" and "@AWDFLASH BOOTIMG.BIN /cc /py /sn /r" In the folder I put 2 new files; awdflash.EXE and BOOTIMG.BIN. I extracted the bootimg.bin from the sp26713.iso which I extracted from the sp26713 folder which I extracted from the sp26713.exe. So if I just dump all the folder contents (not including the folder itself) onto a CD and restart with the CD in the tray and select the CD drive as the boot everything should just work like magic? There were 2 files in the sp26713.iso. BOOTCAT.BIN (2KB) and BOOTIMG.BIN (1,440KB) and I'm assuming the larger one is the correct .bin file although everything up to this point is pure guesswork which is why I'm asking these questions in the first place.
Core Version: 6.0
SMBIOS Version: 2.4
BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.4
BIOS Date: March 3rd 2006
BIOS ID: 03/03/2006-R5480-SB400-6A666M4DC-00-none (W7093BH5340 on BIOS chip)
BIOS OEM: Copyright 2005 by Hewlett-Packard Company Rev 3.47 03/03/2006-3.47
Chipset: Athlon 1100 rev 0 (Integrated ATI Radeon XPRESS 200)
Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
Motherboard: ER883AA-ABA M7470n MXK61006M8 MS-7184 VER 1.0 ROHS Manufactured by Microstar
If there's any other info you want to know, feel free to ask.