enable pci serial device in BIOS

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
mandarin_vanilla
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I'm trying to reinstall a modem, and on the properties tab it says :

" BIOS for this device did not give it an IRQ, ( code 2. ) You must enable device in BIOS " . .

But I don't know how to do that. 8O

Help ? Please ?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

don't put it in the PCI slot next to the VGA card but as far away from that as possible.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Sometimes not even the furthest PCI slot...
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

ajzchips wrote:Sometimes not even the furthest PCI slot...
True; to explain further, sometimes the PCI slot furthest from the AGP slot shares the AGP IRQ. If you have 3 PCI slots try the middle one.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
mandarin_vanilla

I did it.

But I still can't install the driver. :(

( when I go to search for it under the system properties>device manager tab, the driver never shows up. )
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

What type of modem? What chipset, Lucent, Connexant, etc.?

Given hardware is OK, Lucent drivers usually install OK but if previous modem drivers are floating around on the system things get difficult. Connexant - I find these drivers terrible to install. This has been my experience.

But if the problem is originating from the BIOS I would be resetting your BIOS settings, if you do not specifically need your current configuration. Do this at your own risk and be aware that a BIOS reset may cause Windows to redetect other hardware as well and request more drivers than just the modem. (So it may not necessarily be a great idea.)
KachiWachi
The New Guy

What system, and is this the original card put back in the original slot? Any modifications (new card installed perhaps) that might have caused it to stop working?
mandarin_vanilla

Ok, it's an Aopen FM56-P modem, I believe it's an Aopen motherboard as well, though I don't recall the model. ( I'll have to open it up again to look. )

The modem was taken out, and the user had since reformatted the hd, and later tried to install a different modem before they realised that the new modem required more RAM than the computer had, so she handed me the computer and the old modem and asked me to reinstall it for her.

I put the modem back into it's original slot, was unable to install the driver so I tried the slot next to it, still no luck.

I have since put it back into the original slot, reformatted, reset BIOS, and tried several drivers, but still when I go to search for the driver when in the "device manager", it's never there to select.

:?

However, I was in the end able to enable the device in BIOS, which is why I came here in the first place. I guess the rest of my problem is a little off-topic eh ? Sry.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Can you not find any devices in device manager at all that resemble the modem? If not, possibly you have an ancient ISA modem and the card may require detection under the Add New Hardware (legacy detect) wizard. If it is such a modem, you may also need to disable any conflicting IRQs such as serial ports from the BIOS.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Aopen FM56-P...more designations?

There are 7 "P-type" modems listed here -->> http://usa.aopen.com/products/modem/
mandarin_vanilla

8O All it says on the modem in AOpen FM56-P. :?

Besides the pci-serial device ( which dissapeas when the modem is not in the slot ) there's nothing else that it could be.
If it is such a modem, you may also need to disable any conflicting IRQs such as serial ports from the BIOS.
Oh, ok I'll try doing that and then going through "add new hardware."
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Click on the FM56-Pxxx models in the link provided by KachiWachi and compare the pictures.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

OK - From here, solving this should be easy.

You have installed Windows enough times, and the modem does not automatically install correctly, so apparently Windows does not have it's own driver for that device. This seems clear now.

However, you have found FM56-P on the modem. This is in this case a model code that manufacturers sometimes (I think they always should) put on their products to make it easy to track down drivers on their web site.

In this case doing such is easy. Go to www.aopen.com, click on the English (Global) version, then you will find a Downloads link (be patient; even with an ADSL connection this seems a slow site), then above the default list of drivers choose Fax/Modems, then you can even choose your exact model from the list (it is listed), and then a number of downloads will become available in the list including drivers for various operating systems.

So download the appropriate driver and follow instructions (if any, to install it). If you get stuck at this point it should be a lot easier to help you now than before knowing if you had the correct drivers.

As a shortcut for you, I have provided this link which should be you straight to the page you need:

[url]http://download.aopen.com.tw/downloads/ ... =12&Go.y=8[/url]

Wishing you better luck now!!!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

is a clickable version.
@Ritchie: Do you "Disable BBCode in this post" by default?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

It did not come up as a clickable version when I view my own post, but when I view my your post quoting my link that is a clickable version.

Yes I am disabling BBCOde by default. Have never changed the setting. Should I be enabling BBCode to give clickable links?