PCI cards malfunctioning after BIOS update. HELP PLEASE.

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
Great
BIOS Newbie

Please could someone help me.

I updated the BIOS on a Chaintech 5AGM2 motherboard to the latest version. I formatted the C: drive and installed Windows ME. The network card doesn't work, even though Windows detected it and put the drivers on. I tried to install the drivers for my sound card, Creative 128 PCI and when Windows is starting, I hear a crackle from the headphones and the computer instantly reboots.

There were no error messages during the flash process. I cleared the CMOS with the jumper after flashing too. Unfortunately, there is no copy of the old BIOS. :x

Is my BIOS faulty or is there something I can do in order to get things working again? Should you remove cards and everything else before flashing the BIOS?[/u]
soupy
Absentee administrator

There appears to be 3 BIOSs here you could try:

ftp://ftp.chaintech.com.tw/bios/5agm2/

dated

5agm2309.exe - 03/09/99

5agm2614.exe - 6/14/99

5agm2ncra.zip - 08/24/98

There's also 2 more from the Chaintech website:
11/02/99
http://www.chaintech.com.tw/FILES/5xMB/5AGM2B02.EXE

8/11/99
http://www.chaintech.com.tw/FILES/5xMB/5AGM2811.EXE
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Great
BIOS Newbie

Just so you know, I tried the LATEST version available for download. Is there anything unique about this model of mainboard I need to know, like having different revisions?

I really can't see why updating the BIOS to a newer version causes problems with PCI cards. Should I have used switches when running the flash program (such as /cc)? What should I do?

Thank you for helping me readers. :)
Great
BIOS Newbie

Thanks for helping me.

I've re-formatted and re-installed Windows and everything is okay. Maybe others could learn a lesson here: you may need to re-format and re-install Windows if the computer's hardware does funny things after flashing the BIOS!