60GB: PA-2005

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
MicroDevice
New visitors - please read the rules.

========= IN ENGLISH ==========

Hi there,

i've a Motherboard that's called PA 2005 of the manufacture "FIC"! I want to built in a 60GB IBM. So i have take the faked BIOS Files for this mainboard by www.jan-hill.com fpr 128gb drives. But it doesn't work. The pc show me the drive as a 32gb drive. Also a 20GB drive will show as a 40GB. So how can i get the really 60GB?

Thx a lot!

========= IN GERMAN ==========

Moin,

ich habe das PA 2005 von FIC, wenn ich eine 60GB Platte von IBM rein hänge mit dem geflashten BIOS von www.jan-hill.com wird diese als 32GB erkannt. Ebenso habe ich testweise eine 20GB Platte reingehangen, diese wiederum wird aba mit 40GB angezeigt. Ich hätte aba gern die 60GB intus. Kann mir hier jemand helfen? Das wäre sehr nett!

Vielen Dank
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Remove 32GB Limitation clip from HDD
Den 32GB Limitierungsjumper der HDD entfernen
128GB(u) Bios hat den "hässlichen (ugly)" 128GB Bugfix bekommen, d.h. die Grösse ALLER Festplatten wird falsch angezeigt. / the Bios has support up to 128GB but the size is incorrect for ALL HDD (thats ugly, but it works correct !)
MicroDevice

Moin,

der CLIP ist standard mäßig entfernt. Ich hatte die Platte vorher in einem anderen Rechner als 60GB PLatte drinnen.

----------

Hi there,

the CLIP is already removed. I have the drive test in a another pc, there it goes with 60GB!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Was sagen FDISK und Co ?
Laut Janhill werden vom Bios alle Platten falsch angezeigt da der 128GB(u) patch benutzt wurde

What does FDISK say ?
Janhill states this patches Bios uses the 128GB(u) patch showing always wrong size in Bios
MicroDevice

Moin,

danke, JAN hatte mir das Gleiche per Mail geschickt!

---------

Hi,

thx, Jan has answered the same in a email!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Interesting reading these threads isn't it.

There seem to be many variations in the way that different BIOS images handle HDD detections, which all have different effects in whether they can at all be patched, which patcher will work and if they do work what side salads may be served up with it (bugs). In this case it appears the patched BIOS handles up to 128GB but displays the size differently to what the BIOS really detects.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Ritchie wrote:Interesting reading these threads isn't it.

There seem to be many variations in the way that different BIOS images handle HDD detections, which all have different effects in whether they can at all be patched, which patcher will work and if they do work what side salads may be served up with it (bugs). In this case it appears the patched BIOS handles up to 128GB but displays the size differently to what the BIOS really detects.
Yes, it's a known limitation of the quick-and-dirty way the patcher works. It just fixes enough to get things to work (mostly), and not fixing the display bug is something we used to mention all the time, but it comes up so infrequently that we tend to forget.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"