80G: 09/27/2000-i440LX-DD-2A69JD49C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
capbr
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I have the folowing BIOS on my DFI P2XLX:

BIOS Date : 09/27/00
Award BIOS found : Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Award ID-String : 09/27/2000-i440LX-DD-2A69JD49C-00
Board/BIOS-Version :
OEM : DFI
URL : http://www.dfiusa.com
Chipset : i440LX-DD //Intel LX

I have updated the original BIOS (it was from year 97, i don't have the exact date) with this version from 09/27/2000, downloaded from the beta site of DFI http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/ ... =B&SITE=US, but my new hdd Seagate Barracuda of 80 Gb isn't recognized.

Any help?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Not recognized at all or does the Bios hang while detection or while showing HDD size ?
According the DFI Beta site it should support HDD up to 128GB

If it's not detected then check cable and jumpers - maybe something wrong there.
capbr

In the boot, when the plug and play devices are shown, the disk is well recognized.

After this point, however, while showing the HDD size, the Bios hangs. The same happens if the HDD Autodetection is used. inside the Bios Setup.

All this is without the jumper of <33GB. With this jumper, the boot is OK, but the rest of disk space is lost.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Hmm - seems they only patched the 32GB BUG and forgot to patch the 64GB BUG .....
I patched this Bios using our utility - fell free to test this version from here :
http://wims.rainbow-software.org/denniss/
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Does it work now ?
capbr

Hi,

Sadly, now the computer is dead...

The flashing process was aparently well. Awdflash run without error.

However, in the boot, now the screen appears full of blinking characters, and that's all.

I've tried the boot with a diskette with the commands in the autoexec.bat to flash the previous version but without success. It doesn't read the diskette. It's like the boot block were corrupt, a virus perhaps?

Once more, any help?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Did you use a freshly formated floppy disk ?
Tried Clear CMOS ?
capbr

The diskette was the same i used in the previous update, but with a modfied autoexec.bat that starts awdflash.

The problem is the computer doesn't start reading the diskette (the light is off and there is no sound of reading). Meanwhie, the screen is full of green, blue, etc. blinking characters.

How can i clear the CMOS?
capbr

To finish this sad history, i cleared the CMOS (with the jumper). No change. I can't try the hot flashing, so i decided the motherboard was defitively dead.

Luckily, i could find and bought another motherboard in a second hand shop, and i changed the old one with this.

Now, my old computer is up again with this second motherboard, and the DFI is now a souvenir.

Anyway, thanks Dennis for your support.

Bye!