80GB: 07/20/1998-i430TX-8669-2A59IG09C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
cache
New visitors - please read the rules.

BIOS info:
Award Modular BIOS v4.51PGM
07/20/1998-i430TX-8669-2A59IG09C-00
AUTO CPU VOLTAGE & CPU OVER TEMPERATURE PROTECT START V5.3
Winbond 787IF (use 89h) rev 0 found at port 250h
Intel Triton 430TX rev 1

I've been searching your patch page but the GA586-TX motherboard isn't there. I thought of trying a TX2 patch but thought, Hmm, maybe not.
Presently I'm limited to 32GB with a clip on my 80 gb seagate HDD.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

The GA code in the model number suggested to me the board is probably a Gigabyte board.

Searching the BIOS Numbers page (Wim's BIOS) confirmed this.

If you are able to confirm that identification then take a look at the following link and see if the information on that board at Gigabyte's website matches it up (careful as there are a few different Gigabyte boards with TX as part of the model name).

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Sup ... -586TX.htm

It appears that patch supports up to 32GB - if not then probably up to 64GB - slightly misleading as to whether they patched up to 32GB or patched the 32GB bug which would bring you up to the barrier per 64GB bug.

Anyway, since it is patched at least up to 32GB, assuming this is the correct BIOS for your board you could request someone at Wim's to download this patch and patch it right through to 128GB, which would allow you to recognise your 80GB. Don't forget that at that stage you would need to also remove the 32GB clip.

Good luck!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Patched for support upto 128GB. Check the link in my signature.
cache

Thank You! I now have access to the whole hard drive. Bios doesn't hang on boot up.
The only bugs are: If I try to access the bios setup page with drive infomation or the auto hdd detect page, it freezes , its not really a problem because all the other bios setup pages are accessable. Also it reports the hard drive as being 33Gb (approx) on bootup--but as I say none of this presents a problem,as it can use the whole drive.
Thanks again.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Would you like to try an alternative patched BIOS which will most probably let you access those 2 pages?
cache

Yes, I would, if it is no trouble to you.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

OK, patched with BP this time. Remember, the risk is solely yours.
cache

Bad news story: I have tried your updated bios- The first time on ,I went into bios setup mode to see if those 2 bios pages were accessable- the first page was now fine , then i went into the HDD auto detect page , to see what would happen, it froze during autodetection, now it only gets as far as the opening title and bios number and hangs. I have put the old smaller drive back on but still the same.( I can hear it still counting the ram,but it doesn't display it then it stops.)

So now I guess I should read up on Hot flashing-- Although I have a friend who is about to throw out a few socket7 boards , so maybe a different board might be the easier option.
So anyway you GA586-TX owners , the first patch was safe, and as ajzchips said use the 2nd at your own risk.
Anyway, I still appreciate the help, because it is more of a learning experience for me ; It is a 2nd machine for me and all my data is backed up.
So as they say nothing ventured , nothing gained.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Wait... you can still recover... keep the "+" (or "-") key pressed while booting. This'll get you into your original BIOS mode, and can let you flash back to the first patch.
cache

Thanks, ajzchips, The first patch is back in. All systems go , again.
I'm still brave enough to try a future revision-(or should I say foolish enough)
The thing is -should I always expect this bios to report 32gb for the 80gb hdd and leave the HDD on the bios USER settings as it is now.
What I am saying is should I not even dare use the bios on auto-detect the HDD, if you had a future revision, that lets me use those pages.
cache

In fact the mode is in AUTO HDD select now::, before any revision it had been USER ,Which I couldn't change at the first patch, but since reverting to the first patch, I noticed it was now AUTO and also reporting 80GB.
So Thats good news!
cache

Perhaps it got back to auto hdd detect ,when I pulled the battery out in an attempt to get the bios going again. (before ajzchips came to the rescue)
cache

Since my last posting. I used bios patcher to try again on the bios, because I now wanted to support a k-6 3 chip properly.
It works fine. For some reason a crc check indicates that the file ajzchips posted on his beta bios page is different from my one. I had trouble with that one. Would you like me to email the updated patch?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Sure...