SATA RAID not showing in BIOS

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
IDK
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I have assembled a PC on TYAN s2885 mobo with dual opteron CPUs and added Adaptec 39320 PCI SCSI controller on it to which I attached 2 HDD in RAID0 and installed XP on them. The mobo has a Silicon Image (sil 3112) on board SATA controller to which I recently added 2 WD raptors in RAID0 also to install Linux on them in order to dual boot between the OSs. The problem is when both RAIDs are on the board, the BIOS boot order shows bothing but the SCSI RAID. What could be the problem?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I think most if not all bioses show any RAID card as SCSI raid. So I'd try to use the SCSI raid setting and then the sil controller, not the adaptec.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
IDK
New visitors - please read the rules.

My final objective was to dual-boot between Fedora Core 6 (64-bit) and WinXP. This is very easy to do when you use one IDE HDD partitioned under XP then Linux is installed on the empty partition. GRUB bootloader will take care of dual-booting and life is easy.

The problem comes from the fact that from the beginning I installed that Adapted SCSI controller (PCI) and attached 2 15kRPM SCSI HDD's in RAID0 and installed XP on them. On the other hand, I tried to install Linux on teh same SCSI RAID but the OS couldn't see it so I opted to offer Linux another HDD- namely another RAID. My mobo has its own built-in SATA controller (sil 3112) able to support RAID (have to specify RAID or standalone in BIOS) upon which I built a 2-Raptor RAID0 and installed Fedora on it after disconnecting the SCSI controller because BIOS overlooked the SATA controller with the presence of the SCSI controller in its PCI slot.

With the SCSI controller connected, BIOS ignores the SATA RAID initiation upon startup (I have to disconnect the SCSI controller to have that initiation) and if I enter the boot order in the BIOS setup and check under HDD I only find the SCSI RAID. It's only after I boot into XP that I'm able to find the SATA RAID in My Computer.

My mobo is Tyan K8W (s2885) and the BIOS I'm using is AMI BIOS basically and I flashed it recently from Tyan to version 2.07. Tyan's tech supports says that my problem is that the BIOS option ROM isn't big enough for both RAID controllers and I should disable some stuff from the BIOS. I mena, what can I disable to allow these two to co-exist? I tried changing the SCSI controller's PCI slot and that caused computer freezes at some instances.

My problem is BIOS-based and I really don't know what to do here. Any help is highly appreciated.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

So essentially Tyan is telling you the mainboard bios cannot handle the setup you were planning. Not funny.

Maybe one of our in-house gurus can think up something in the advanced forum or you might even have to revert to esupport.com for a custom bios.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...