System Breakdown

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Bitmonkey
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey!

I have an old P I/II Dell Optiplex GX1 and recently I decided to upgrade it. I have downloaded and installed the latest Bios release from dell for that particular model which transcribed the system from an A01 to a A10 bios version. However, I am a little green in some areas of computing and I dont know enough core information to troubleshoot properly. I tried to install a new Maxtor ATA 133 40 Gig Hard Disk but the system wont recognize it. In fact it keeps returning the same message on all jumper settings: no fixed disks present. The system board as I read is supposed to support up to 127 Gig drives. I have changed the bios settings from auto detect to user manual inputs as well as unplugged the data cable with the power on to make sure that the disk was spinning up(and it was). Can anyone tell me what is the problem? Also as I read I understand that there are many bios settings that can be changed and all that of a motherboard but where can I change the bios of the RAM and L1 and L2 caching and FSB(front side bus) speed. Is that possible? How do I enter those bios?

Any help or ideas will be better than what I got now. I'm all out

Thanks
Bitmonkey
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Without being in front of the computer, first thoughts are to reload BIOS defaults and make sure the IDE channels are enabled, check the IDE cable at mainboard end to check orientation and that it is not misaligned over any pins (one row or too far too one side) as well as making sure the orientation at the drive end is correct (usually towards power).

Jumper settings were the first that came to mind but you are sure that you have checked this area thoroughly? For example, some drives use a different MASTER jumper for a MASTER W/O a slave as opposed to a MASTER with a slave.

Also try a new IDE cable - you might have simply a bad cable or an old cable that is giving you compatibility issues.