bios Check sum error

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
mas_Sif
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey i am a real novice trying to save inlaws mobo that i somehow screwed up. here's my story,
my own pc running w2000 was struggling to use ie6 ,could'nt load some pages (AoeII mulitplaer page) being greedy i tried to reinstall windows as i was told it would solve the problem, how ever during reinstallation my pc tells me that their is device malfunction and setup will halt.

then i couldn't reboot or run set up. Next, try to daisy chain my hd to get vital info off. Had done this before with no problems.

After discovering my hd was faulty and could not be accessed i reconnected the inlaws pc.

Then bios couldn't recognise the inlaws hardrive, so i reset the bios to bios defaults.

Went to reboot and the message:
BIOS CHECK SUM ERROR, come up. then:
checking floppy a media, when a boot disk is inplace it hangs on this with the floppy green light on. if no disk inserted it then says
INSERT SYSTEMDISK. AND PRESS ENTER.

I have tried to reset jumpers, battery and ram with no success. I have also clear cmos, is there a way of creating another systme disk using another pc that will sort out the bios? Should i replace the chip, but i have no acess to another board with the same chip. WHere do you buy these sorts of chips?

It is a fic mobo, quite old, kb-6130v, slot 1
Any advice would be really appreciated
thanks
bob(scared of the inlaws) bartley :?
mas_Sif

now i have an update, tried to creat a boot disk top flash bios but the bios does not recognise that there is a floppy in place and it hangs for ages till i get bored and turn it off
ne more ideas?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Try inserting ISA floppy controller and connect floppy there. It should be able to boot from the floppy then.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
mas_Sif

Hey sorry but i am a real novice, isa floppy controller, is it a card? if so is it expensive or difficult to locate? How much should i pay? Would it be easier to buy a new mobo?
Also why would the isa controler work, does it by pass the bios boot block?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

You can borrow the ISA floppy controller from an old 486, 386 or 286 computer. Not the big brands - they have everything integrated on board.
The bootblock can't configure the Super I/O chip on the board properly (probably because of a bug) so it can't initialize the floppy controller. ISA floppy controller does not need any initialisation so it might work.

You can also hot-flash the BIOS or you can have the chip flashed somewhere.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere