#34690 by JayKaye
Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:37 pm
Firstly, I just found this site and ive been trying to fix my BIOS for a few days now. This site is GREAT! well done. Im from the mp3car.com website and ill be recommending these forums in the forums there, whether I find a solution for my problem or not. Good work guys :)

ok, heres the prob, I have a VIA EPIA mobo (the sort with built in EVERYTHING except RAM). The BIOS chip is a SST MPF 39SF020. A BIOS upgrade failure killed the mobo. I tried many many many times to hot-swap the chip into 1 of my other 3 machines but it doesnt work! GAH!
ok this is what ive done so far.

I have my main PC with another SST BIOS chip in it (SST 49LF020), I have 2 spare BIOS chips aswell as the failed VIA chip (Winbond W49F002UP12B and SST 39SF020A). I tried booting the main PC (its an ASUS mobo) and running its aflash.exe flasher. I couldnt get it to flash any chip other than the one already in there. I also tried AWARD, AMI and Uniflash but to no avail (I used the -force and -expert parameters for uniflash so it gets the right chip).

Something weird happened and my main PCs BIOS died on me too. No idea how but now it wont boot. :(

My 2nd attempt was with another machine (Compaq Presario 6000 series PC with a MS-6553 mobo, it also had an SST BIOS, dunno model number).
I used all flashers but uniflash wouldnt work on any of the chips EXCEPT the one from my main pc (the ASUS mobo)! I flashed the ASUS BIOS onto it and even though it said it was flashed successfully, it didnt work in the mobo. I then flashed the VIA BIOS onto it and it didnt work in the VIA either! I had no idea why.... then I came accross this site and I did some reading, now I know that there is no 1 standard for BIOS chips and some use different voltage and reading/writing ways.

Now I have 2 dead mobos and 4 BIOS chips.
SST MPF 39SF020 from the VIA board
SST 49LF020 from the ASUS board
Winbond W49F002UP12B which is a spare
SST 39SF020A which is a spare

Do I need to buy a new chip? my local electronics store sells SST 49LF020 for $15/each ($AU).

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post. I hope I didnt leave
anything out.

EDIT:
Some more info on the mobos.

VIA mobo is an VIA EPIA M10000 aka EPIA M. ( http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia ... boardId=81 )

ASUS mobo is an ASUS A7V266-E ( http://support.asus.com/download/downlo ... uage=en-us )

Compaq Presario is a 6000 series PC (not sure which model) but the mobo is an MS-6553.