Problems problems problems

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
wietsed
New visitors - please read the rules.

That should be the name of my pc.

Lately it's been acting real strange, now I am thinking about a BIOS battery that is slowly dying, but maybe there's another problem

The thing is, sometimes the computer just freezes. I can't move the mouse and the only thing is to unplug power, plug it in.
And than the real "piss me off" problems begin.
It will not restart. The HD light comes on, fans are on, but thats about all the computer pleasure I get.
After turning the computer off and on (by the power switch on the PSU), sometimes after several tries I am lucky and the computer comes back to life. Is it a BIOS problem or is it something more sincere?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

you mean "more severe" :wink:

I'd say it's either you have a semi-blown up capacitor onboard, or your PSU is dying...
wietsed

yes severe...thats it

well it is only a 250W PSU, it worked fine in the past

but you don't think it's a bios problem???
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Nope...
wietsed

OK, well not to be a know it all. But when the computer freezes, the fans are still on, LED's are still on.
If the PSU fails, or shuts it self down due to any reason, shouldn't everything go down?

On the other hand, it would make some sense, cause 250W isn't a whole lot, though the PSU itself doesn't feel hot, and the fan works fine.
Actually the only parts that do get hot are my two harddrives.
One is a 40Gb and the other a 80Gb.
For the rest, its a Jetway mobo, with a 1Ghz AMD Duron, 2x256 Mb DIMM's, 1 dvd-rw, 1 cd-rw, a network card, SB-live soundcard, and a rage pro video card.