ATC-6220 upgrade

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
apereira
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an ATC-6220 BIOS version v2. However it does not allow me to upgrade my operating system from Windows 98 to Windows XP.

How do I get a copy of an upgraded BIOS version that would handle XP?
ruelnov
Master Flasher

I'm trying to understand your post, because Windows takes over the BIOS once it is loaded. And Windows even throws in some functionalities lacking in the BIOS.

If you could run Win98 on that system, I see no reason why WinXP wouldn't if you have enabled ACPI function in BIOS setup, have at least 128Mb RAM (64Mb is possible but system would be slow with WinXP), and Pentium 3 processor running at 400-500MHz.

Anyway, did you see an error message when trying to upgrade to WinXP saying that your BIOS doesn't support WinXP?

If not, what specific error message did you see that made you think your BIOS doesn't support upgrading to WinXP?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

XP should have 256MB as minimum RAM installed - way too slow with less memory .
Win98SE is fine for old/slower CPU with less RAM - especially 98SE does not have so many Virus/Worm attacks than XP
ruelnov
Master Flasher

I used to have 256Mb with my WinXP, but when my RAM modules went bad I had to live with one 64Mb RAM only. Did not see any noticeable difference, though, maybe because my processor runs at 800MHz and have excess HD space for memory paging.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

I have seen XP with 128MB and with 512MB on the same machine - the difference is huge !
apereira

My problem is that I am unable to install the Windows XP OS.
I have not received any message regarding the BIOS.

However, every time I have tried to install XP, the system locks up during the operation of checking compatibility of software.

I have reformatted my C drive and loaded the minimum module of Win 98 and it still locks at the same point.

I also worked with the Microsoft XP Technical support staff to eliminate various possibilities. He finally told me to contact my BIOS manufacturer, fix that problem then call Microsoft back.

Hope this helps :?
apereira

My problem is that I am unable to install the Windows XP OS.
I have not received any message regarding the BIOS.

However, every time I have tried to install XP, the system locks up during the operation of checking compatibility of software.

I have reformatted my C drive and loaded the minimum module of Win 98 and it still locks at the same point.

I also worked with the Microsoft XP Technical support staff to eliminate various possibilities. He finally told me to contact my BIOS manufacturer, fix that problem then call Microsoft back.

Hope this helps :?
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Try installing XP on a clean partition, I mean with no existing OS like Win98. This you have to boot from XP CD, and you must enable ACPI Function in BIOS Setup.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Enabling ACPI on an older board can sometimes be the problem with XP if it isn't 2K/XP compliant.
apereira

My BIOS setup did not list an ACPI function.

However under Power Management Setup I have:
Power Management : User Defined
PM Controlled by APM: Yes

Do I need to change them?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Have you read the compatibility information on the CD-ROM?

Perhaps you have something installed that XP does not like...
apereira

In order to eliminate incompatible hardware I have already disconnected most of the extra hardware like the printer, scanner, modem, DSL, CDRWritable drive and the multimedia board.

I have a Pentium II 450 MHz chip and 128 MB RAM.

I am not sure what else I should check for incompatibilities.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

"However, every time I have tried to install XP, the system locks up during the operation of checking compatibility of software."

Do you mean "of hardware"??

So basically you are down to the motherboard, RAM, CPU, HD, and Video card (on-board video?)...correct? How large is the HD, and is it recognized natively in the BIOS?
apereira

Yes. I am down to just the hardware you listed. My HD is 13GB and should be compatible with the BIOS since they both originally came with the computere.
During XP upgrade installation, and the step Check System Compatibility the system locked while the message said 'Examining programs'.

Thats why I thought that I needed to update the BIOS info.

However, I tried one other thing. I tried installing the full version of XP which said it would write over Win 98. Supposedly it installed the entire program.

It then restarted the computer, went through a couple of screens of information then the screen just stayed black...for over 1hour.

I took this to mean it had encountered some incompatibility.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

On a fresh install, you should have no programs installed, so I don't understand why it hangs at "Examining Programs". The BIOS info would most likely be considered "Hardware" and not a "Program".

I would have thought that the full version would have had no trouble installing, since you chose to install over Win98. Did you have "Setup" repartition and reformat the drive?

When you restarted after the 1 hour wait, did "Setup" start over?