DEBUG/BIOS problems

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Chrisanna
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100. The BIOS is Phoenix BIOS Version a06.

It is a used computer given to me by a friend. I had some problems that required that I re-install the operating system. It had Windows ME but the installation disk was lost. I only had Windows 98. I was told to DEBUG and then to install Windows 98. During the DEBUG process there were two instances/values that were input incorrectly (the person who wrote everything down copied it wrong). Here's what I was told to do and the exact location of where I input things wrong.

Insert boot disk (debug), turn off/on computer and boot to A:\> prompt (did this okay)

@ prompt enter values as specified

-F 200 L 1000 0 [ENTER]
-A CS:100 [ENTER]
XXXX:0100 MOV AX,301 [ENTER]
XXXX:0103 MOV BX,200 [ENTER] ****this value was entered as 301 and not 200****
XXXX:0106 MOV CX,1 [ENTER]
XXXX:0109 MOV DX,80 [ENTER]
XXXX:010C INT 13 [ENTER]
XXXX:010E INT 20 [ENTER]
XXXX:0110 [ENTER] blank line very important ****entered twice here i think****
G [ENTER]

Now as my pc boots I see this across the screen

C:\>SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

C:\>SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS

C:\>C:\>PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

Creative SB16 Emulation Driver, Version 4300
Copyright 1996-1999 Creative Technology ltd
Initialization Complete

C:\>
C:\>

It will then boot to windows and for the most part the computer works okay. Other than the fact that I keep getting a CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad error. I've hit <DEL> to enter the setup and loaded the defaults on numerous occassions but it always comes back. I also noticed in the set up (can't remember exactly where) boot messages that continually read .... preboot cmos error or something of that nature. Can check again if need be for the exact wording.

I'd appreciate any help or advice I can get.
zonxar
Master Flasher

Not sure why they had you run the DEBUG routine - here is what www.computerhope.com/rdebug.htm has to say about this routine:
This debug routine is used to erase all partition information on the hard disk drive and is only recommend for experienced users or users who are unable to delete the partition information through fdisk.

A:\>debug <enter>
-F 200 L1000 0 <enter>
-A CS:100 <enter>
xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301 <enter>
xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200 <enter>
xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1 <enter>
xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80 <enter>

(80 for hd 0 or 81 for hd 1 )

xxxx:010C INT 13 <enter>
xxxx:010E INT 20 <enter>
xxxx:0110 <enter>
-g <enter>
Program terminated normally
-q<enter>

Once this debug routine is complete reboot computer and all partitions should be erased. Before anything can be installed back onto the computer you must run Fdisk and recreate the partition as well as format the hard disk drive.
Perhaps a start would be a normal Fdisk and Format the harddrive before reinstalling Windows 98.

Also, the BIOS is quite old, the latest update is here

:)