INTEL D945GNT Loses Configuration

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Leslie Satenstein
New visitors - please read the rules.

MB and Battery are new. I can cofigure the board (using intel 930 processor with 1 gig memory), but cannot use the optimised defaults (from the bios) as the bios locks up.

I configure the bios manually, and set the system to recognize my 3 boot devices. (2 drives and 1 DVD). If I chose the DVD, and fail to have a dvd in it, the bios corrupts itself, and the system locks up, and canot be rebooted. On POST, and playing with F2 key, I can eventually get to the bios set up menus, I do the reconfigure and it works.

Other problems... if I press on a downarrow or similar key during POST, I lose the system. I have updated to Bios version 7/7/2006 and that has cleared up some earlier problems, but the system still locks up.

My operating system reports that PCI support is not correct in the bios, for 64bit or for dual core 32 bit. MMCONFIG is Core5 message.

What riles me the most, is that Intel did not provide a document describing the bios menu field settings. I use the defaults, but perhaps that is not the thing to do. Other bug is there is no address in the Intel set of web site addresses to register a complaint.

One complaint, error codes and menu setup are not published anywhere. My MB was manufacturered in 2004, and purchased as new from the dealer June 20th 2006.

I think that a newer engineered MB, if it exists, and dated 2006, would probably have many of the errors repaired. Is Intel in the MB business? I think not.

I would not recommend this MB at this point in time.

Leslie
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Maybe you should check if you are using tested/approved memory with this board:
http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/nt/nt_mem.htm

Some of the problems sound familiar from when using incompatible memory sticks.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Leslie Satenstein

Friday evening, I checked the Intel web site and the only bios update was the one dated 07 July.

Saturday AM while the PC was in for repairs (It is warranteed), I noted that the previous day (18 AUG). there was a bios update (naturely dated 18 Aug. and put up after I had checked).

But I could not retrieve my system from the dealer (repair dept closed on Saturday). So I will wait for Monday (tomorrow). If the problem persists, I will ask for a board replacement. And if the problem is in the design, I will ask for another vendors board.

As for memory, I do not think it is a memory problem, as after a successful bios boot, there is absolutely no problem with the system. It is also a little more expensive memory (supporting 400mhz fsb). I believe the problem is with the bios code. Also Intel Web site lists other hardware problem with the mother board, such as burned chip causing either zero fan or 100 persent fan operation. So far, my board is OK.

Will keep you up to date.

Leslie
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

It is also a little more expensive memory (supporting 400mhz fsb).
Sir, in my 8 no 9 years experience with Intel boards, that is no guarantee. The speed grade or the price is of no concern where it comes to Intel boards and memory sticks. Their design limits are very tight, which makes timing of the essence and if the electric signals are not shaped/timed right, their boards will let you know. This is also what makes their boards fast and pretty reliable.

They have a tested/approved by Intel memory list and one should really stick to that or prepare for trouble. I've cursed enough times to know this. Really.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Leslie Satenstein

Well,

Dealer's technician upgraded the bios and the problem still persists. Since the dealer is a "authorized distributer", who initially put the system together, he contacted Intel to arrange a "crossover shipment".

Regarding memory, it is high quality 512gig ddr2 dual channel stuff, a little pricey, but matched to the system.
The problem is not with operating once a successful boot occurs, but with the bios execution locking up sporatically.

Lets see how long I can suffer without my powerful toy.

Leslie in Montreal
Denniss
BIOS Guru

If the memory is sporadically failing in the section the Bios is operating in it may cause random errors.

Please try to run the system with only a single memory stick. It may also be the configuration SPD-EEPROM on your memory stick is not correctly programmed confusing the Bios. It may then use too fast Timings -> System unstable.
Leslie Satenstein

Thanks for the advice/feedback. It is appreciated.

I would like to oblige, but MB uses DDR2, which requires pairs of sticks at all times. The even/odd addresses are accessed on different clock cycles and by the partner stick.

I would do some timings, but the dealer has shipped the board back to Intel. Since dealer has to guarantee the system, let him do the trouble shooting. He is better equipped, with scopes, and other gear that I do not have at home.

Thanks again

Leslie
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Let us know how things work out. We might learn from this as well. In the future, if the memory is indeed listed/approved for this board, please state so. The price/speed doesn't matter, just as long as it works and not plays up.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything