Memory Problems, BSOD (low VBAT battery?)

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
EtAl
New visitors - please read the rules.

MOTHERBOARD = SOYO SY-P4IS2
1G RAM
Windows 2000 pro (current updates)
60 G hard drive

I've just noticed that my VBAT is reading 2.03V.
I've been experiencing Blue Screens Of Death's (BSOD), applications not loading right or freezing, and wierd memory messages...
Application popup: Explorer.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x0000726f" referenced memory at "0x0000726f". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
I'm hoping I just need to replace the battery to resolve my issues. Bootup does a memory test and has never reported any problems.

I've never replaced the battery before. It's a CR-2032 (large 'button' style) battery. My documentation does not show anything on how to remove old and insert new. Doesn't look complicated, but still unsure.

Would I lose anything during the brief time the battery is out for the swap?
EtAl

Now this is odd. I updated my McAfee VirusScan, which required a restart after installation. After booting up, my VBAT started reading 3.15V consistently. I also got another error message for memory:
Application popup: svchost.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x64534f88" referenced memory at "0x00000094". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
A friend had suggested reseating my memory chips (I doubled from 512Mb about six months ago) to see if that helps.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Looks like a dying memory chip or timings are set too fast. Test your old stick first then your new stick, one of them should show the errors you have.
EtAl

Thanks - I'll check that out when I'm back on Monday. Too late tonight and gone tomorrow morning til Monday.

I should mention that my Windows 2000 registry was damaged several months ago. I hired a tech who did a non-destructive restore by patching in some of his XP files. It got my programs back (some orginal disks had been stolen and my backup had copied only data when I thought it was doing a mirror). I'm working wounded, but still limping along.

BTW - Boot up shows version 2aa2, but if I boot into safe mode that will show version 2aa3. So I'm assuming my bios is running the most recent version. If I remember correctly, my settings should all be default.
EtAl

Also forgot to mention -
Boot up always conducts a memory check, which has never failed.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Boot memory checks are not very informative...more like a quick scan if you will.

Instead, use Memtest86 or Memtest86+ to see if you really have something going on with your RAM.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Check the memory. Also check if the capacitors on the board aren't bulging. It might be also bad PSU (often bulged capacitors inside...).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
ruelnov
Master Flasher

get into BIOS setup and load FAIL-SAFE DEFAULTS to slow down memory timings.

if it doesn't solve your problem, try one memory module at a time to single out if there's a compatibility issue between the memory modules you're using.

but use memtest86+ to test each memory configuration.