pci-usb adaptor

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
chandler
New visitors - please read the rules.

I would be most grateful for any assistance with my problem of trying to add a usb port to a p.c. The motherboard is made by Pine and the Award bios is UMC-890B-2A5X8PC9C-00. I am using Win98SE. As the motherboard does not have any facilities for a usb port I obtained a pci-usb board. This board use an opti 82C861 chip. The computer recognises the board ok and instals the opti 82C861 pci to usb open host controller and also the usb root hub in the system properties device manager. However instead of the two actual ports, the device manager list two unknown devices which are disabled. Enabling these two devices just adds the yellow exclamation marked to these. I have tried this on two identical motherboards with also a clean instal of Win98SE with the same results. I can only assume that my problem lay with the bios. I have checked the Pine website for any updates but none are available on this obsolete motherboard.
Can anyone confirm if this is the bios causing the ports not to be recognised and offer any help to overcome this problem. When purchasing the board the supplier assured me that it did not matter that the bios was not usb enabled, but he would say that wouldn't he.

Many thanks in anticipation and sorry for the long query

Chandler