Updated BIOS, but now what?

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
jim55
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

here is my BIOS info:

Award v4.51PG mi415

12/13/1999-i440bx-w977ef-2a69kf09c-00

written on mainboard:

VB-601 mi413s

I downloaded the mi415 bios update from the FIC website and flashed the BIOS according to their instructions. Everything seemed to go fine as far as I can tell. The reason I flashed was because the BIOS was not recognising a new 80GB hard drive (would hang when detecting during boot). Anyway, now the 80GB is detected on boot, BUT the system gets past "detecting IDE drives" and then stops on an "Award Systems, Inc. System Configuration" screen which gives a summary of the computers CPU, RAM, IDE Primary/Secondaries etc. I am wanting to boot a windows XP disc to do an install but the computer will not boot from the CD drive or floppy drive (have configured it in the BIOS to boot floppy/CD seek etc.) What does this mean, is it a bad flash? have I used the wrong update altogether? please tell me what i can do.

Thanks.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

This Bios seems to be "infected" with the 64GB BUG .
install the latest MI4118 Bios
ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/s ... MI4118.ZIP
jim55

ok, i'm going to completely trust you on this one and flash it with the mi4118 bios. Here's hoping.

Thankyou very much for your time and advice, it is much appreciated.

I will let you know how it goes.
jim55

ok, i havent done it yet, but i was wondering do i just use the "awdflash" option that appears down the bottom of the screen while the computer is detecting the IDE drives. It says "press alt + F2 to enter awdflash". Im assuming that I do because the computer does not recognise the floppy drive.

Anway, IF I do, do i just put the .bin file on a floppy and use the awdflash option, or do i need to put something else on the floppy?

Thanks.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

You can try entering the Awdflash option, but disconnect your HD before powering up so that your floppy drive will be detected.

You just need to copy the .bin file suggested to your floppy disk.
jim55

ok cheers for the tips.

I have flashed to the m14118 bios and now the computer boots as it should ie. will boot from floppy/CD drives. I tried to install XP on the 80GB drive, but after it had finished copying the setup files necessary for installation and then rebooted i got the message "error loading operating system" and the boot halts everytime with this message. Basically I couldn't finish installing XP. Is there a solution to this? Is the full capacity of the 80GB drive not being detected?

Thanks.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Create two partitions on this drive rather than having all in a single partition .
The first partition should be 30GB max in size .

EDIT : Typo
Last edited by Denniss on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim55

ok cheers.

Thanks for all the advice people. It is really appreciated.