updating hp vectra vl420 (asus p4b-mx) with asus bios

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
pjaneiro
New visitors - please read the rules.

I currently have an HP Vectra VL420 they use the asus p4b-mx motherboard but with an AMI bios, of course their bios has no overclocking capabalities or anything really usefull for that matter, i tried flashing it with uniflash with the latest asus bios (1006) but it's telling me that the bootblcok is different, is there a way that someone with a asus p4b-mx could save their bootblock and bios for me and PM it to me, it would be greatly appreciated, or again anyone that might have a solution for this :P
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Wouldn't change a thing, since you'd be getting the same bootblock mismatch message, considering it's the very same BIOS you'd be attempting to flash.
pjaneiro

Actually no ! The two bios are'nt the same !, the vectra uses the HP AMI bios, and asus uses it's award one, so what i'm asking is for someone to use uniflash and backup their bios (bootblock and bios)

Thanks all,
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

@pjaneiro, you're requesting someone with an ASUS P4B-MX board to save his BIOS for you. As a true ASUS board, he'll most likely have an AWARD BIOS.
So if you flash the ASUS BIOS you downloaded, or the saved ASUS BIOS someone sends you, you'll receive the same bootblock mismatch message.

...and that's what I meant.
pjaneiro

Well, what's hapening is that when i try to flash my vectra with the original asus bios it tells me bootlock mismatch, what i was wondering is if i had an asus bootlock with the asus bios and flashed them both onto my vectra with uniflash would'nt that solve my problem ?

Thanks...
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Even two consecutive ASUS BIOS releases can give you a bootblock mismatch error. Remember, the bootblock is inherent to the BIOS.
Flashing the ASUS BIOS will already include the ASUS bootblock. You can't flash them separately in two different sessions. Though, you CAN flash the BIOS without touching the current bootblock, but in your particular case this can be extremely dangerous, considering the AMI and AWARD bootblocks are totally different.

If you still are 100% determined to flash the ASUS BIOS, then you'll have to flash the whole lot (bootblock included) using Uniflash.... but, the risk is solely up to you. Most OEM boards have minor differences making it quite difficult to use an official non-OEM BIOS.
pjaneiro

That is my intention, but i cannot find the bootblock for award anywhere !

The flash file for award is 256k, how can a whole award bios fit in a 256k file ?, the ami one does 512k !, also i was wondering if in the asus bios the 256k file is just bios or the whole award loader (ex award 4.54pg...)

Thanks for your help...
soupy
Absentee administrator

The boot bock is in the BIOS .BIN file already. He meant you have to you the option to flash BIOS INCLUDING boot block, as opposed to the regular flash option.

Modern BIOS are now 4Mbit (or more?). Don't let the size worry you, unless it's different than the current version.

I would also like to add that what you propose is probably a bad idea.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.