80GB: EPoX EP-61BXA

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
o4fuxache
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an EPoX EP-61BXA-M motherboard with a 32GB hdd limit.
I went to www.epox.com and got an updated bios (from 07/98 to 12/98) but I still can't seem to get the system to recognize more than 32GB.
They have a BIOS upgrade that would enable HDD recognition up to 65 GB, but it's only for 2MB BIOS, and mine is only 1MB.

Do I have to get a new chip, or can I just upgrade mine?
Whichever the case, how do I know what type of chip I could get, or where can I get an upgrade?
Thanx in advance.
georgep
BIOS Rookie

One option probably would be to purchase the 2 MB BIOS chip from Epox. ftp://ftp.epox.com/motherboard/support/ ... rchase.pdf A similar example was with EP-MVPGM 1 MB version BIOS' which had no K6-x+ support. Owners purchased the 2 MB version in order to get the support.

Of course patching the BIOS here will be free:)
o4fuxache

Thanx for the suggestion. I checked out that order form before, but it doesn't say what the 2MB BIOS chip is called. I also talked to unicore and they offered to send me a chip for $39.
I live in L.A., and computer stores abound, so if I knew exactly what I was looking for, I'd prefer to buy it first hand.
How would I know what to look for?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

There's already patched BIOS at http://wims.rainbow-software.org/ :!:
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
o4fuxache

Thank you Rainbow. I believe that was exactly what I was looking for.
BIOS is now recognizing the full capacity of the drive, and I've begun Win XP installation (Although, in this setup, XP is only seeing it as 75 GB).
Now I have to get around to figuring out what's wrong with my brother's motherboard.
Save that for another day.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

HDD manufacturer count 1KByte = 1000 Bytes and 1MByte = 1000 Kbyte and 1GByte = 1000MByte
But in real it's 1024 so there's a Loss and while formatting the drive you loose again some place for the file system .
o4fuxache

I hoped to be done with this thread, alas, it seems I've encountered another aggrevation.
While installing XP, with about 6 minutes left, I got a message that Windows was unable to save drives E and F. I was, of course, setting up Windows on C (Which was an NFTS partition on the WD drive). D was a CDROM drive, E was a Maxtor hdd and F was a CDROM drive.
Now, when I go to the system BIOS, it lists the Maxtor drive as a drive it is not. Windows says the drive is working properly, but I can't access it, even going through component services (Where I would at least be able to format it, where it recognized), and when the system initially detects the drive, it makes a loud clicking noise.
Is it possible that Windows broke the drive? I'm thinking (Bear with me for not knowing proper terminology) that the spindle got stuck somehow. Does anyone know what might have happened or, perhaps more importantly, how I might be able to correct this or, at the very least, retrieve a couple of vital notepads?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

What happens if you slave the Maxtor off the WD drive (watch out for the jumper settings!) and, what should it display in the bios, what is it displaying now?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...