Editing bios from windows.

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
kms
New visitors - please read the rules.

Is thr any way we can edit the bios from windows..

i have two hardisks in my pc.

what i would like to do is to make a small program that will change the settings of bios.

one hard disk is conneceted to the primary IDE and one to the secondry IDE

when i change the hardisk the primary IDE should be disabled and secondry one should be enabled... and the other way also...
soupy
Absentee administrator

Never heard of such a thing. You looking to dual-boot? If so, get a boot-manager program.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
kms
New visitors - please read the rules.

It is to have duel boot but in a different way... i have two hardisks in the system

one i use one hardisk the other one should be invisible.. rather the other hard disk will not be accesible... similerly the other way also...

in both hardisks i have windows 98

right now what i do is to enter the set up and enable the one i want to use and disable the other one...

what i thout was to make a small program which will do this from windows it self.. so that thr is no need to go into the bios each time..
Ger@ld
BIOS Rookie

Hallo!

You don't need a Programm. It's very simple. All what you need is a switch with two seperate contacts. Further you need 2 cables with a little female plug - like a jumper, what you can plug to this place, where the harddisk master/slave jumper must be.
You must connect the wires so on switch, that one Disk is master and the otherone to same time is slave. Both disks must be on same EIDE cable.
in BIOS must be enabled autodetect.
But be carefull and switch only when Power down!!!
If you need hide the second disk try with two extra contacts or by relay to disable the powerlines +5V and +12 Volts (yellow and read) but some older disks don't like that and block the bus.
I use this jumper trick in a SCSI System and it's working fine! By SCSI you can switch more than 2 disks.
good luck! ;-)

Gerald
soupy
Absentee administrator

kms wrote:It is to have duel boot but in a different way... i have two hardisks in the system

one i use one hardisk the other one should be invisible.. rather the other hard disk will not be accesible... similerly the other way also...

in both hardisks i have windows 98

right now what i do is to enter the set up and enable the one i want to use and disable the other one...

what i thout was to make a small program which will do this from windows it self.. so that thr is no need to go into the bios each time..
You can do this with some boot manager programs, ie: hide the drive you are not using.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

XOSL http://www.xosl.org. I used it for a while when I had two OSs.
You can also have everything on one drive and hide partitions only.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere