cd rom and dvd rom sometimes read by computer

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
riceburner00
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just a built a computer(same computer as other posts), and when i initially boot up my computer it doesn't read the cd rom and dvd rom drives I installed in the computer. However, if i reboot from there, it reads my dvd and cd rom drives. But sometimes it doesn't. This is a really weird to me.
i was able to install win 98 and some other software. But i wish my drives would work all the time. ALso, my dvd rom drive doesn't quite play dvds. This is not all that important right now. But if anyone has had experience with any of these problems, please help.
Oh yah, I also am pretty sure i connected everything properly when I put the computer together. I also had a friend check it over for me. And i compared it with another computer i have
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I had similar issues in the past, and the problem was the ATAPI device itself.
riceburner00

Does that mean i have to replace both the cd and dvd drives? They both don't work in unison or they both work in unison. It seems like it wouldn't be the individual devices. I've seen and heard that name before, but what does Atapi stand for?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

A single device can screw up another one. I'd try booting the system with only one device, then try the other, until the culprit is found.

ATAPI can be easily searched for using www.google.com :)
riceburner00

thanks for the info :)