Can't update BIOS on PC Chips M726

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
lid
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have been trying to flash in the latest BIOS for my PC Chips M726 motherboard.

I am using BIOS version 990722s.rom with flash program Aminf336.exe. When I try, I get the this message :

DOS/4G Protected Runtime Version 2.01a
Copyright (c) Tenberry Software Inc 1996
> Chipset/Flash part isn't available.
The function will be invalid.

Any ideas as what's wrong? I've checked in the BIOS setup screens and cannot see an option that write protects the BIOS.

Thanks

Leighton
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Hi Leighton. I don't know why aminf336 doesn't cope.
You could see what Uniflash makes of it....
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
lid

Well I finally got the latest BIOS installed on my PC Chips M726 motherboard using Uniflash with the 'Flash including bootblock' advanced option.

However my original problem is still there, i.e. my PC will not boot-up if any devices are plugged into the USB hub.

The PC only has two USB ports. One has the hub and the other has my USB cable modem. In order to boot-up my PC, I first disconnect the USB hub. After booting up, the cable modem is working fine, but of course my USB receiver for the cordless keyboard and mouse is not.

I then plug the USB port back in and the devices connected to it all work, but they disable my cable modem connection. To make that work again, I have to unplug the USB on the cable modem and plug it back in.

It's infuriating! Do you have any ideas as to what's wrong please?

Even though a hub doesn't work, do you think an extra 4 port USB card installed into a spare PCI slot will work instead, or will I have similar problems?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Are you using the standard ATX form factor card for USB or are you using another type of connector? If the latter, you might be using one with asymmetric pins (meaning, that they're not two rows of identical pins, rather the second row is the inversion of the first... typical on most Intel 440LX boards, etc.)
lid

Thanks for the reply ajzchips. However I don't know anything about the inside of my PC.

I bought it in Feb 1999 and it had two USB ports in one slot at the back.
They seem to be fine on there own, but if I use my USB hub and have anything connected to it, it won't boot. It won't even count the memory.

Once booted up and windows 98 all loaded, I can then use the hub again.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

lid said ...it had two USB ports in one slot at the back...
Do you mean in a PCI slot?? Maybe you have a card installed instead...

Any reason you don't have the cable modem connected to a NIC card?? I've heard that alot of the USB connected modems have trouble, so putting that on an 10base-T NIC would be sufficient...
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Probably means on a plate - the PC-Chips ATX form card
lid

I decided to spend some money to sort out the problem. I bought an Ethernet card for the cable modem and a Belkin quadrabus 4 port USB card. Apparently this card is superior because each port gets the 12Mbs - I hope so cos it cost me £40. I bought it from John Lewis (a UK department store), as they'll take it back if it doesn't work.

I didn't get a USB 2.0 card because various sites suggest that my 1998/1999 PC with Windows 98 may not run it properly.

Anyway I installed them both last night. The USB card worked straight away, although I have only plugged in one device so far. The original two USB ports didn't work at first, but have now 'woken up'.

The network card and modem took me longer to sort out, but now is fine. So I now have 6 proper USB ports, which should be plenty. I haven't got any more free PCI slots now though!