80GB: 62-0117-000000-00101111-071595-A751V686

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
insanesmiley
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi guys...
I've got a problem with my bios. I'd like to update my bios so it would be able to recognize my hard disc (Thats why Im in the "hard disc-forum and not the "bios forum" :D )
Anyway... It seems to be kinda hard to find the right update... a bunch of different sides give me opposing information... :(

This is what some Bios Wizard told me:

Bios Manufacturer : American Megatrends
Bios ID : 62-0117-000000-00101111-071595-A751V686
Bios Date : 02/03/00
Bios ROM size : 256K
Bios OEM signon : ----- [nichts)-----
Chipset : AMD 751 rev 37
Super I/O Chip : VIA 686 found at 0h:4h:0h

Now the Bios ID seems to propose that it is an ASUS board, which is weird enough, and I took a look into the tower, and it really seems to be one. :oops: It says K7M on it (which is from ASUS), but when I downloaded the bios update from the ASUS-page and started it, the answer was "no asus board/system/whatsoever detected" (or something similar... ) and then the program quits.

The main problem was that I got a new hard disc (80 gb seagate barracuda) and the computer stops going when I try to let the bios autodetect the HD...
I've been looking for the answer to my problem like EVERYWHERE, plz help me if you can. :cry:
(by the way, sorry for my english, it's not my native language.)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Ever thought of the possibility it might be an OEM board for HP or something? What are the exact and full markings of the top surface?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Asus Live-Update does not work with the K7M series - you have to update in "normal" way with AMIflash
But as Edwin said you have to be sure it's not a K7M OEM from a computer system builder - Asus Retail Bios may not work
insanesmiley

Right under the battery, there is a chip (black, pretty fat thingy, called chip, isn't it??"), and on it it says: SST (I THINK its SST, kinda weird font, though, typical designed logo...) and right under it MPF... right of this, it says: 39SF020
90-4C-PH
0007080-B
and LEFT of it all, there is a sticker on the chip stating:
686 AMIBIOS
(c) 1999
AF 94
4 3 9 9

Other "chips":
- a big, square one with the VIA logo and Font on it.
Additional info on the chip: VT82C686A
0006CF TAIWAN
1EK019701
(c) (M)
- a small one saying: ASUS
AS61256-8
A008S0364
- a couple of tiny ones which I dont think will have an impact on your judgement. Correct me if I though wrong. :D

Below the K7M, there is a REV: 1.04, in case its some kind of important.

Did this answer the questions, or did I just get your postings wrong? :?:
insanesmiley

By the way, I just wanted to say THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK! I would've gone totally crazy without you!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

No Dxxxx-xxxxx number anywhere? Then it's most likely you have to use the DOS-mode flasher, not LiveUpdate.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

insanesmiley

No Dxxxx-xxxxx number anywhere? <-- nope. Checked it again right now. Nowhere in my line of sight. =/

Mh, so I've to use the DOS flasher.. but WHICH one?

And is it like "1.: flash the bios under dos; 2. update the bios under dos"? or how does this thing work? (thats how I understood it, reading the tutorial on some page, but ... you never know how much this german guy understands (the german guy, that would be me... :wink: ))
Aaaaaaaaaanyway:
I still don't know WHICH flasher and which update I need and where I get it. The companies seem to try NOT to have people download their stuff, or is it just me who has problems finding ANYTHING in connection with BIOS upgrading? (Or is it just my board that sucks so hard??) :cry:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Denniss
BIOS Guru

insanesmiley

Okay, done and dealt with. And guess what? 8O it worked. =}
Thanx to you, you are great, guys...
Take care...!