Incorrect HD settings in AMI Bios

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
djschotte
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi!
Can't seem to set up my Fujitsu 40GB correctly. Using AMI Bios version from 29.11.02. HD size/parameters not recognised correctly. Tried manually setting them by selecting the "user" option but couldn't manually set the correct sectors/cylinders etc.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Scott
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

- Can you set type to "Auto" rather than "User", and mode to "Auto" or "LBA" rather than CHS/Normal/Large ?"
- Have you used this drive in another machine, or is it new ?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
djschotte

Have tried setting it to Auto but that doesn't work. Drive was previously used in a set-top box with HD. It is however a standard fujitsu HD. Managed strangely enough to install Red Hat 7.3 on it. Linux somehow recognised the disk but when it came to booting, the HD was shown with a size of 0GB. I was looking at getting hold of Ontrack Disk Manager which is a Drive Overlay software.

I haven't any other ideas.

Scott
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Find a copy of "IDEID.EXE", put it on a bootable diskette and see what it makes of the drive. There should be later utilities for reporting the capabilities of ATA drives, but I haven't come across one yet.
It doesn't sound as though the drive is reporting itself correctly; if the AMI BIOS is 2002 it should certainly be capable of handling 40GB. The only Fujitsu utilities I know of are for changing the UDMA mode of the drive. Is there a firmware update available for your model ?
djschotte

Thanks for your help. I ended up installing Ontrack DiskManager which is a Drive Overlay SW. This somehow seems to "go around" BIOS and recognised/formatted the HD as required.

Only disadvantage is that I can't use this faster HD to install an OS as the DiskManager application runs only under windows. Need to see if there is some kind of DOS application.

Cheers,
Scott
Denniss
BIOS Guru

What's your mainboard ?
According to the date yyou told us it should be new enough to support even bigger HDD
djschotte

Elitegroup K7s5a