Old Monorail PC need mobo to be flashed

How-to identify your motherboard ?
jamichel2000
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a challenge with a Monorail PC that I can't found any info on the company who build it.

I need to flash the mobo to solve an incompatibility problem between the mobo and Win 98 on shutdown.

I tried everything in the book to troubleshoot the problem but even in Safe Mode it won't shutdown but restart over again. All drivers are updated, re-installed Win 98/2 and did all necessary updates and still having the same problem.

I really need to find where I can download the latest BIOS drivers for that computer.

AMD K6-2 475 MHz with AMI Bios
Monorail PC series 4200
64 RAM

Anybody with a link to the company who builded this computer will help me greatly

Thanks
soupy
Absentee administrator

Ah, a Best Buy special. Run BIOS Agent and post the results.

Also, try the email and phone number listed here:

http://www.pcfactorystore.com/product.asp?ID=50
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
jamichel2000

Bios Agent results

BIOS ID ME0C
03/05/99
03/05/1999 - SiS-530-P5SS-ME0C-00
Award Modular BIOS v4.51 PG
Winbond 877F (use 87h) rev 0 found at port 3F0
Monorail BIOS v 0.62
## MNRL e530ss7n 06

Any help with finding the manufacturer of the mobo or a link to get the latest BIOS will help me a lot

Thanks for your time
soupy
Absentee administrator

Looks like Elitegroup (ECS) P5SS-Me, also sold by Hyundai in their MultiCAV Tower 9510.

There's 2 PCB revisions, so you'll need to determine which you have before you flash.
Last edited by soupy on Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamichel2000

Looks like the board except for for a few parts like the onboard sound and video card. This board is also for a 300 MHz CPU and on my client's computer it's a 475 MHz AMD K6-2.

I have found a rev 2.1 for the board but it is still dating from 1999. I'm not planning on installing that 2.1, still looking for something closer to 2001, 2002 or better 2003 but I don't believe that it is available anymore.

I'm not hot about installing an old bios revision even if that can solve the shutdown problem. I did troubleshoot with the info gathered on the Microsoft web site but I'm convince that the problem is with the board.

I did a clean install of Win 98 and updated IE to IE6/SP1 now giving me error messages. I should maybe recommend to change the board for a new one easier to flash if needed.

Thanks for your help
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

There are at least 4 different shutdown patches for win98se and you need them all.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jamichel2000

Thanks,

All patches were installed when I reinstalled 98 and did the updates. System is working but can not shutting down.

I tried to find a board for it but they are not available anymore. AMD K6-2 475 MHz seems too old and a friend of mine having a store tried to get a board but no success.

I told my client that she can have a good computer for a good price with brand names company (Dell, Compaq or others).

Thanks again for your time
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

soupy wrote:This look like your board?
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/ecs/P5SS-Me.htm
Warning: doing this from work may violate your company's IT use policies. Don't do this at home in front of the children.
(I'm just waiting for the phone call from the anti-p o r n police now....) and it's the automatic link to "adult-friend finder" website which is worse!
soupy
Absentee administrator

Whoops! Sorry, lads. :oops:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Nothing webwasher cannot handle I guess. It's easy to overlook something like that if you have a good pop-up stopper solution...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jamichel2000

Thanks for the warning but I'm the only kid in the house and I'm 50 years old..... :lol: