MS-6178M, Award or AMI

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Chas2003
New visitors - please read the rules.

Greetings everyone. I've been lurking around the forums for quite a while and have gleaned some very interesting and worthwhile information from you all.

I now have a bit of a snag and would like help. An extensive search has left me going around in circles.

I have been given the above motherboard, but it seems to have a problem with the IDE controllers. I have tried everything to resolve this but on the recommendation of a friend decided to re-flash the BIOS. It was a pull from a Tiny (UK Computer Comp.) machine and has what appears to be a Tiny proprietary BIOS. This is a AMI Bios, the boards originally ship from MSI with an Award BIOS.

I have tried to flash a MSI (Award) BIOS using both AMI and Award flashers with no success. I have also tried UniFlash but can't seem to re-write the boot block.

Can anyone offer advice.

Detail from the current BIOS flash screen:

A617801 V1.90MR 110401
63-10B1-001169-00101111-071595-WHITNEY-1WHITNEY-H
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you find the "write boot block" option in the Advanced menu in Uniflash ?
Chas2003

Yes, but each time it comes up with a verification error.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

You installed the BIOS flash unlock jumper JP3 ? (I'm looking at the MSI 6178 manual here, which may not be quite the same...)
Chas2003

Yes, JP3 was in the 'BIOS FLash Unlocked' config, ie. jumpered/shorted. Still no joy.

/Your help is much appreciated m8 :)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Does the Award flasher identify the chip or does it say "unknown flash" ?
Chas2003

It displays "SST 49LF004A /3.3v" sometimes, but not always. Sometimes it will display "Unknown Flash".

Award flashers prior to 812 will allow me to back-up the existing BIOS but then it will display "Programme files part number does not match with your system". It has also displayed many checksum codes (although I don't know what the significance is). 49D4h & D46FH being two of them. I've tried many combinations of Flashers/Bios files.

AMI Flash just says something about ROM size being wrong each and every time. As stated earlier Uniflash will try, unsuccessfully to re-write the boot block.

I'm out of my depth, I don't really understand much of this, I suppose the motherboard is ready for the dustbin. I was hoping to get it running to build a starter PC for my little 'un.

Lastly, would the problem which prompted the Flash, ie, more often than not the drive is not being detected, be caused by a corrupt BIOS (IDE controllers ?) or is the board itself phsyically damaged ?

regards
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

It does sound as though there is something dodgy about the board if it comes up with different checksum values for the BIOS. Disconnect the IDE cables, remove any add-in cards except the graphics, clear the CMOS (turn off /disconnect power at the wall before changing jumper JBAT1/J26 according to the manual I downloaded - "your mileage may vary"). If you have two memory sticks, try them one at a time or swap one in from elsewhere. Can you try another CPU ?

The BIOS is actually held in the Intel i810 chipset's i82802 FWH (Firmware Hub) so you can't simply swap the BIOS chip or "hot-flash". I dislike the FWH approach.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The FWH can be (hopefully) hot-flashed, if it's installed in a socket (not soldered to the board).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

@Rainbow: I haven't come across one in a socket yet, but there is always hope!
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

I've seen it on Abit SA6R board (when I was replacing capacitors there...)
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
pwochung

I got the same M/B. I tried to flash a Award BIOS into it and it died. I guessed the boot block had been corrupted. But the 82802 (FWH) do sit in a socket. I want to know if I can take the FWH out and put it in a socket A's M/B and flash the correct code and return.
pwochung

I succeeded in flashing an Award BIOS into the board (original proprietor AMI BIOS by Tiny) and everything is OK. I used uniflash. It's great. Thank you!
potOgold

Try this link for more info on 6178L or 6178 M boards
(also a good idea to visually confirm the chipset on it)
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/ser ... index.html