Patch 1.8 for MS-6147 isn't working

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Praggle
New visitors - please read the rules.

120 GB (Samsung SV1203N)
06/16/1998-i440BX?ZX-W97-2A69KM4EC-00

OEM-Sig: W6147MS V1.8 100799 patched for 128GB HDD by Wim's team

My Board is a Microstar MS-6147 (i440BX) in a Fujitsu-Siemens PC (ErgoPro e368)

My old BIOS was the original Fujitsu Award 1.8, which doesn't support 32GB+. So I tried NickS Patch (http://wims.rainbow-software.org/nicks/ ... 0v1.8).zip) and also the Packard Bell 2.1 Bios.

But my drive is still just recognized as 32GB-Drive. Drive-Jumpers are set as master for full capacity. When I boot up with partition magic it shows just 32GB. When I try to install Win2k it shows 32GB.

What am I doing wrong?

Before flashing your BIOS-Patch I had installed Ontrack disk-manager. But now I have deinstalled the DDO and cleaned the MBR and filled the drive with Zeros.

Fujitsu-Siemens has published somewhere that their bioses are fully compatible with the msi-bioses, so your patch should work with it also. But it seems to work just like the old original bios.

What can I do?

I don't want to use DiskManager anymore, because I got some trouble by using partition magic together with disk manager.

I would be glad to hear from you,
Praggle
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

If your system does not hang you are still limiting the harddisk to 32GB with the jumper. Check it again. If the patch was not working you would have a hang when detecting the harddrive, not seeing it as 32GB.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

...and the flash has worked OK, with a new screen message on boot-up in the top left of the memory count screen, under the Award logo ?
Praggle

edwin wrote:If your system does not hang you are still limiting the harddisk to 32GB with the jumper. Check it again. If the patch was not working you would have a hang when detecting the harddrive, not seeing it as 32GB.
No. It's not hanging anymore after flashing the patch. That's the good news!
I tried all 6 possible jumper combinations now (Master, Slave, CableSelect and all with an without 32GB-Capacity-Limit). It's always the same. When I boot with the PartitionMagic-Boot disk, it shows me that Disk 1 has only 32247 MB.
Maybe it's the wrong way to check the capacity?

NickS wrote:...and the flash has worked OK, with a new screen message on boot-up in the top left of the memory count screen, under the Award logo ?
Flashing didn't cause any trouble. Even after flashing a second time now. I used awd812.exe without any commandline parameters.
On my boot-up screen I can see:
Logo, Award Modular BIOS v.4.51PG ...
W6147MS V1.8 100799 patched for 128GB HDD by Wim's team
06/16/1998-i440BX?ZX-W97-2A69KM4EC-00

Any ideas?

Praggle
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Sometimes, the disk manager tells the drive to identify itself as 32GB only. Check, if there's an utility from Samsung, which can set the HDD size. Seagate has such thing on their disk manager floppy - if Samsung has nothing, try this.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Samsung has a utility called hutil which has a menu option, Tool->Set Max Address->Recover Native Size.
Praggle

Hi, both of you,

I ran Samsung HUtil and it showed to me the following information:

Current Size: 32235 MB (LBA: 66055244)
Native Size: 114498 MB (LBA: 234493056)

But I didn't find a way to change the current size with it.
Then I tried to find the utility you mentioned, Rainbow. No success with Samsung and I didn't even find something at Seagate.com. Do you know the exact name of it?

Praggle
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you run this from a DOS boot diskette, select Tool, then select Set Max Address, then select Recover Native size, then press enter ?
If after this the utility did not then show the correct capacity, it sounds as though either the 32 GB limit jumper is still in place, or the drive is not one of the supported models, or it is faulty. What model is it ?
Praggle

That's strange!

I've booted from MS-DOS. Started HUTIL.EXE (v.1.13). Selected TOOL an just found the following items:

ERASE HDD
SET MAX UDMA MODE
AUTOMATIC ACOUSTIC MANAGEMENT
SELF DIAGNOSTIC
SET SECURITY

Nothing about 'Set Max Address' or 'Recover Native Size'!

It is a Samsung SV1203N, that should be supported by HUTIL.

I checked the jumpers twice already. But I can try a third time. I ran all diagnostics and didn't find any error. And with Ontrack Disk Manager it was possible to access all 120 GBs. So the drive should be okay.

Praggle
Praggle

Can't belive it!

After a long search I found an older Version of HUTIL.EXE ( V 1.08 ) and this one has your described commands (Set Max Adress + Recover Native Size). Done. And now my drive has 114494 GBs!

I thank you both for helping me. You spent me 82 GBs.

And be careful everybody with Ontracks DiskManager!

Praggle
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Praggle wrote:Can't belive it!

After a long search I found an older Version of HUTIL.EXE ( V 1.08 ) and this one has your described commands (Set Max Adress + Recover Native Size). Done. And now my drive has 114494 GBs!

I thank you both for helping me. You spent me 82 GBs.

And be careful everybody with Ontracks DiskManager!

Praggle
Well done ! Where did you find the V1.08 of HUTIL ? I think I would like a copy, and I need to update my item in Collected Wisdom .
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Praggle

NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Thanks.