M558 RAM problem! Help!

Is your memory not fully recognized? (Intel VX chipset Memory recognition)
Stoneman
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi everybody! It´s my first time here, so people, take easy! :)
I have two questions. I hope that someone can help me!
* I Have a PCCHIPS M558 Board. Originally, It was with 32 MB (two SIMMs of 16MB). Now I tried to increase to 48MB (more two SIMMS of 8MB), but bios is only counting 32MB! What´s wrong?
* The bios id of my board is 51-1213-001437-00111111-071595-UT801X-001_10_UTRON_F (it´s what appears when I power on the PC). I have looked out on the net and discovered that this id is for the M559, but my is M558, without memory cache connector(piperline 256k/512k external). I have see all the pictures and the one who gets more close to my board is M558. Is the ID of my board wrong? Could I upgrade the BIOS?
Thanks a lot!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

ajzchips is the expert on PC-Chips. If there is a later BIOS it will be at http://go.to/ajz, along with the manual which may tell you about the permitted combinations of RAM modules.
How many chips are on each of your 8 MB SIMMs ?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Stoneman

The 8MB SIMMS have 4 chips. Is this the problem? Here is a simple resuls of tests that I have done combining the SIMMS:

SLOTS 1-2 SLOTS 3-4 RESULT
2x8 MB - Worked with 16 MB
2x16 MB - Worked with 32 MB
2x16 MB 2x8 MB Worked ONLY with 32 MB
2x8 MB 2x16 MB Not Worked. PC didn't start

The AJZ page is temporally Down. I get a error tring to connect to the pcchips page. I will try again until get it. I got a bios 0116s.rom that could function.

Thanks everybody for help!
KachiWachi
The New Guy

It seems to be getting confused on the mixed memory technologies, though I don't understand why...

How many chips on the other modules?

If you can read the part numbers on the chips themselves, post them here as well.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Stoneman, when using only ONE pair of SIMMs for testing, were you always using Slots 1-2? Have you repeated the same tests using Slots 3-4 only?
It wouldn't be the first time I see bent slot pins, or even missing ones that screw up the system.
And it wouldn't be the first time I see SIMM couples that just can't coexist.
Stoneman

Well people. Today something have happened. After see AJZ's words I looked out in the SIMMS slots to verify if there was something wrong. After that , I cleaned the slots. After I Puted the 16MB SIMMS in 1-2 slots and the 8MB SIMMS in 3-4 slots. The pc didn´t start. But, since I don´t give up easily, I made the reverse (8MB in 1-2 slots and 16MB in 3-4 slots). And I don´t know HOW, But the PC started and count 48MB! Now the PC is working very good. I wanna to thanks everibody for the help you gave to me. Sorry for something! Maybe One day I will understand what happened, but now I don´t wanna, because maybe if I touch the SIMMS again, it sops work :)

PS: the 8MB has 4 chips and the 16MB has 8 chips.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

There is a good chance one of the 8MB SIMMs had some dirt on it and it got into one of the SIMM slots. After cleaning those and swapping SIMMs, the dirt may have come off thereby getting all SIMMs recognized.

Other option is a bad contact one one of the slots that you may have "repaired by pushing them in. Who knows.

Anyway, congrats on getting it to work.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...