60GB: 03/08/1999-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KF9AC-00 (Acorp-6bx67)

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
HardCore
New visitors - please read the rules.

I flashed the bios on this board (Acorp 6bx67) several times, with the "limited" jumper on, using a *.bin I got from a link posted by someone on this forum. Now it's upgraded to v 1.5 C After that everytime I get the same: "missing operating system". I don't think it's the bios to blame, the harddrive is recognized (a Maxtor 60 Gb). Should I format my drive?
Any input would be great!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Let's see. You've previously used your 60GB HDD as a 32GB HDD, right? It was FDISKed, formatted and Windows-installed as a 32GB HDD, right?
Now you've flashed it, removed the 32GB clip and will give you that error message when booted as a 60GB HDD, right? Or will it also give you that error message with the clip ON?
HardCore

I don't get the same message with the jumper on, the fact is I don't get anything. After the CD-RW is detected at startup, it halts forever. Nothing!
I'm seriously thinking of formating my drive. Maybe being formated when I installed Xp for the first time, with the jumper on, must be the reason.
What do you say?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

If you don't have vital info in it, reformatting it to 60GB wouldn't be a bad idea.
HardCore

I just did that!
Now I'm getting worried.
After flashing the bios, all the HDD's over 33 GB I put Master, though they are detected in bios at their right size, are not bootable. I tried with my cousin's HDD, a Maxtor 40 Gb, and as I said, the board dectects it, but when to boot from it , the pc restarts suddenly. At on top of that, after copying the windows installation files on my drive (the 60 gb one), and setting it to secondary master( only drives that are lower than 33 gb are bootable, and the "missing operating system, and "error loading operating system"). Running Partition Magic 8.0, I get an "incorrect geometry...shit"- being formated with XP instalation fdisk), and my drive is signed BAD. What the f... is happening? I lost all my patience!
Please save my ass!!!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Ok... this time flash the BIOS using the patched version here:
http://wims.rainbow-software.org/ajz/
HardCore

I already did that a few days ago, and 10 min ago. The same result. The boot manger from a Windows 2000 installation disk appeared, asking me what do I choose to boot Windows 200 or "previous C:", I chose Windows 2000. After that the loading bar flashed for 1 sec, the display gone blank, and restated. The problem is that I tried to flash the original bios which came with the board veer 1.2. The first time the disk had the "limited" jumper and , was bootable. After writing a newer version and rewriting to it's previous state the v1.2 , doesn't(the original one). What is larger than 33 Gb won't work now.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

One sec... with the patched BIOS, were you letting the BIOS autodetect the HDD parameters, or have you tried entering them manually?
HardCore

I did all the ways possible. Ide hdd autodetection, and "Auto" from Standard cmos setup. Ididn't enter them manually 'cause I don't know them.
I'll start looking on the net
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

The parameters are printed on the HDD sticker.
HardCore

Just a few minutes ago I discovered another thing
Putting it on auto or hdd detection I get the size of the hdd at boot 2139GB ?!?!?!?, though in bios is ok( i think!?!?): SIZE 61496, CYLS: 7476, HEAD:255, PRECOMP: 0, LANDZ: 29436, MODE: LBA

I found on net something like:
MAX CYLS: 16,383
HDD:SECT: 16:63
ACT CYLS: 119,150, that for a Maxtor 6Y060L0 60 Gb

As you can see except for some values, it's not even similar
If someone knows exactly what to enter at each of those please let me know!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

One sec... could this be related to your problem?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... bContent=1