guess what... another dead mb :-(

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
PPK
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi everyone!
only today I discovered this great site/forum, and so I would like to ask few questions concerning uniflash.

I have an old MSI motherboard... a dead motherboard with a via kt133 chipset and an Epox with kt333 chipset, this last working fine.

as the bios socket are the same for both mb's I'm considering using uniflash and the epox to try and reanimate the msi, but there is something wich may be some problem: the epox bios has 4 mega bit capacity and the msi is only 2 mega bit, I read in the forum that we should not try to flash 4 mega bit chip in a 2 mega bit socket, but is there any problem trying to flash a 2 mega bit chip in a 4 mega bit socket?

well I guess that's about all I need to know for the time being...
btw... I'm from portugal, my english isn't that good, so I apologise for any writing errors there may be in this text :oops:

regards,

Max[PT] PPK
Denniss
BIOS Guru

It should be possible to flash a 2MBit Flashrom on mainboard originally equipped with 4MBit Flashroms as it's possible to flash 1MBit in 2MBit boards .

As I have no experience with 4Mbit mainboards please wait for the other Mods to respond - especially Rainboaw should know
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

First check Flash ROMs types (under any stickers) and post them here.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
PPK
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi again!

well, the bios chip that belongs to the epox mobo has the following written on it:

On the sticker: BX2

On the chip:

MPF
39SF040
70-4C-NH
0234057-D

as for the other motherboard's bios chip, I don't have it here with me, only tomorow or the day after... the only thing I know is the mobos model... MSI K7T Pro2

update: I don't know if this helps, but I've been fooling arround a bit with uniflash, and it detects the bios chip as being a SST 39SF040, sectored in 4x128kb and works fine with this chip reading from and to the chip.