I need help on a zp-5v1 bios upgrade

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
commercesooner
New visitors - please read the rules.

Anyone know where I can find this bios upgrade. We have several of these in computers at our school and we're trying to upgrade to windows 98( I know, upgrade to windows 98 is a 8O 8O , but this is a poor public school in Oklahoma.) Anyway, I need the bios upgrades, it wont accept windows 98 without them. PLEASE help
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

What's the BIOS ID string :?:
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
soupy
Absentee administrator

What message do you get when the Win98 install fails?
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
commercesooner

How do I get the Bios ID String? I get an error something like configcmg
config.sys can't load. I don't have the computer in front of me. I'll get back there asap and put down the exact error.
soupy
Absentee administrator

Run Bios Agent and post full results here to determine BIOS id.

http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/index.cfm?refererid=1

It looks like it may be a Zaapa motherboard, but they don't seem to offer any support, so hopefully it will have a FastFame equivalent.

Have a look at the motherboard and see if this is it:

http://www.fastfame.com.tw/ENGLISH/PRODUCT/5V1MV.htm
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
commercesooner

That looks like the one to me. How do I download the bios from that site? I downloaded a file, it is a .bin, there is no executable. Thanks a TON for all the help. We're getting closer, I can feel it.
commercesooner

The error I get is:

While Intitializing device CONFIGMG: Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.

So, Uh?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

commercesooner wrote:That looks like the one to me. How do I download the bios from that site? I downloaded a file, it is a .bin, there is no executable. Thanks a TON for all the help. We're getting closer, I can feel it.
You need to download the program which writes that BIOS .BIN file into the PC'S BIOS Flash EEPROM,. You'll find this described as a BIOS Flasher program, AWDFLASH being the one created by Award for their BIOSes and it will have a name along the lines of awdfl822.exe. The FAQ on the main Wim'sBIOS site covers the basics of how to flash, or there are instructions on almost every motherboard manufacturer's website. In outline:
- Check for any "flash enable" jumper or setting in the CMOS setup
- create a bootable diskette with no config.sys or autoexec.bat and copy onto it the flash program and the binary image, then boot from the diskette.
- Take a backup of the existing image using a command along the lines of
"awdfl822 savebios.bin /sy/pn"
- Flash the new BIOS using a command along the lines of
"awdfl822 biosname.bin /sn/py/cc/cd"
commercesooner

Well, the bios at the fastfame site didn't match my hardware. Anyone have any other ideas? I can't run the bios string program because I can't get into windows. I basically can get to a dos prompt and that is it. Any ideas?

Should I just get a different motherboard for this old P1 MMX?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

You can get a DOS version of the BIOS agent program, it says further down the page linked to above. There's a link to the feedback/DOS downloads page near the bottom.

When you say the BIOS doesn't match your hardware, what specific error do you get ?