40GB: 07/30/98-SIS-5582-W877-2ASIIG0DC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
ega80
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi!

I wanted to install a 40 GB IBM HD on my Gigabyte GA-586STX2. The newest BIOS 586STX2_16.BIN is on but unfortunately this bios has also the Award 4.51 32HB Bug in. I heard one of the moderators has a program to patch the bios.

Please can someone patch the Bios of my board so i can install my 40GB HD.

Thanks

Ega
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Looking at it now.... should be in your email in a little while
ega80
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

first thanks a lot for the Bios Fix. Now i can use the full 40 GB of my HD. The Bios update works, but only with a trick: The Standard CMOS Setup and the IDE Auto Detection doenst work with the new Bios. In both Options if i want to go there my Bios freeze. I had to chance the Options with the old Bios in the Standard CMOS Setup to AUTO everywhere so that my BIOS can recognize my HD. Now everythings works. The only stupid thing is that i cant even chance something else in the Standard CMOS Setup because this new Bios freezes there. Is this a known problem?

Ega
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Yes, this is a known problem. A work-around is to disconnect the HDD when you want to change something in the CMOS. :(

Alternatively, I can try patching the BIOS with apple_rom's bp (which is a more sophisticated patcher) if you would like to try that.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

bp patched version sent... ajz points out I could also have fixed only the 32GB bug as this is a 40GB drive....