Replacement For SyncMos Chip (Tricky one!)

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Brushfireb
New visitors - please read the rules.

Everyone,

This is my situation. I have an A-Trend 6240 v3 board, that has been flashed with a v2 bios (no idea why, i just got this board for free from a friend). As an added bonus, this thing has a SyncMos chip (f29c51002t). I think the combination of the bios and the chip make this thing pretty tricky.

After searching this and other forums, and trying to flash with both uniflash and awd, it seems that no program will let me flash this board back to a v3 bios, which I have the file for (thanks to past posts here).

So, unless someone knows a way to force the newest version of awdflash (8.1) to flash a bios where the bios names do not match, I need to find a replacement. Surely there must be some command line switches that can FORCE a flash using awdflash, no?

Alternatively, is there a good way to get a replacement (non syncmos) chip that I can hot-flash?

Any help appreciated

Brian
Brushfireb

Everyone,

Looks like I managed to fix this. For others benefit, I will post below what I did.

The funny thing about this board, ATrend ATC 6240, is that according to other posts here and elseware, there were 3 revisions of this board. I believe this to be incorrect, and in fact, I have a fourth revision. The first 3 revisions are based on 440BX chipset, but mine is based on Via 693 chipset. This revision comes somewhere between 2 and 3. The bios is labeled 2.102.

Anyways, attempting to flash this chip with either a revision 2 or revision 3 bios will leave you with a dead chip. This happened to me. I even tried revision 1 bios, to no avail.

I did find an updated 2.1 bios at http://www.nix.ru/support/drivers.html? ... vendor=129 (some russion website). It is labeled as 2211 or 2111 under the 6240 section. This is the only bios that will work in these Via based 6240 boards

Now, as for flashing the syncmos chip, the only utility that worked for me was the AMIflash utility, and it worked perfectly. newest uniflash or Awdflash wont work, only the amiflash utility, and this is an award bios.

I first flashed with a version 3 bios (the board, according to past ATrend specs, is a version 3 PCB becuase it is gold and has the -01 next to 6240), but because version 3 bios's will not work, I ended up with an unbootable motherboard. So I took out the chip, and hotflashed in another PC. I tried all versions of the bios, the only one that works is the 2211 or 2111 version listed above.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Brian
Brushfireb

Just for searching purposes:

Bios Name - ATC6240V-01 Ver2.1r02
Bios String - 693A-596B-977-6240012C-WX
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Wrong identification :
Your Board is a 6240V and not a 6240