160GB: Soyo 5vd

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
sdwim
New visitors - please read the rules.

I got a 120 GB bios fix from here last summer, but now I just got a new 160 gb hard drive, and I need to make sure the 160 GB will work fine with my bios. Here is my original bios information before the 120 GB bios fix. Thanks

BIOS INFO:
Award Modular Bios v4.51PG
Plug and Play Bios extension v1.0A
Bios release 5VD B6
09/15/97-i430bx-ITE8680-2A59GS2GC-00

Hard Drive Info:
Maxtor 160 GB, 8 MB cache ATA 133
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

maximum supported by award 4.5 bioses is 137,6GB, expanded would require a core rewrite, something we cannot do. Either a commercial upgrade from unicore or an add-in ATA100/ATA133 controller card is needed this time.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
sdwim

okay i guess it's time for the backup plan. Does anyone know if the maxblast software work with linux? Or any general comments on using the maxblast software to bypass the bios limitatiosn on hd size?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

48Bit LBA Bios support is needed if you want to boot from this HDD -Maxblast or other tools should not be able to help you .

If you have W2K XP or Linux it should be possible to set the port your HDD is connected to in Bios to not installed and let the OS detect your HDD (communicates directly with HDD then) .
-> But you'll need another HDD to boot your system
sdwim

when you say booting from the HDD, do you mean through the MBR? Because I usually boot through a floppy on linux. Would that be enough to get my system up and running? I would just boot through my floppy and have it point to the OS on the HDD? But then I don't know if i could install the OS that way. Will this idea work or no?